450 Pound Monobloc Amplifier

The Boulder 3050 monobloc weighs 450 pounds, 1500 wpc.

A pair of monoblocs weighing right at a half-ton...amazing.

The Pass Labs XS 300 monobloc weighs 300 pounds, 300 wpc.

With all of the advances in amplifier design, does an amp really have to be that big to get the results they're after?

The 1500 wpc D-Sonic monobloc weigh 12 pounds...I love it!
128x128mitch4t

Showing 5 responses by charles1dad

105 lb 30 watt amplifier? I like that ratio, this amp probably sounds very good. What is this amp you're considering?
Regards,
It'd be very interesting to compare the two 1500 watt amplifiers, 12 lbs vs
450 lbs to hear what is different when listening to actual music
reproduction(rather than measured power specifications). The Boulder
likely weighs that much for a reason. Have both of them drive very power
hungry speakers and just listen, who knows?
Regards,
A 10 watt amp is fine as long s you have the appropriate speaker match, amp-speaker really is a marriage. I think you'll be very happy with the VAC Renaissance , those are timeless excellent sounding amplifiers. There're good and heavy due to big premium transformers and a very stiff power supply section.Good choice!
Regards,
Minori,
What you wrote is sensible and based on experience. Have you had the opportunity to compare these newer light weight designs to the traditional premium heavyweight you described? The bottom line is the sound quality.
I'm not convinced that the lighter amplifiers have the same true drive ability with difficult loads and provide equal or greater sound quality(I could be wrong).
Regards,
Tomtab,
You wrote"I don't care how good they sound" here's where I'd disagree. All that would matter to me is the sound (what else is more important).I believe quality transformers and linear power supplies are crucial and will produce superior sound compared to the newer light weight amplifiers. If I'm proven wrong then that's fine and represents progress(no problem admitting that). I've yet to be persuaded based on what I've heard so far.I prefer lower power simple circuit amplifiers built with premium transformers and very stiff power supplies, this means increased weight. The final verdict is sound quality, which ever technology sounds best is what I'll own.when the light weight amplifiers sound better to me than the traditional approach, I'll happily buy one.