40hz room mode RPG Modex Corner trap?

Hey guys,
Looking for some help with some room modes I am battling. Main offender is 40hz mode. (very typical with 8ft ceilings I suppose) I have several ASC tube traps that have helped a lot, but at this point the don't need much more broad bass damping just 40hz damping as the peak there is way above everything else.

So, two questions:

1. Has any one used the RPG Modex Corner trap?
http://www.rpginc.com/products/modexcorner/
Seems to be exactly what I need as they make a 40hz model. How effective are these? I think that to make a significant difference I may need so many that the cost will kill. Would 2-4 make a difference?

2. Any other ideas to kill the 40hz room mode short of an eq like the PARC?

Thanks
Nik
nikturner920

Showing 4 responses by nikturner920

Thanks for the info. I have a lot of respect for the PARC from everything I've read, and actually I've got a huge amount of use from the rives test cd with the rat shack meter while doing speaker placement and adjusting my asc treatments. $3k is probably too much for me at the moment though, wish there was a cheaper version that did just one mode.

Rives, is your thought on the Modex what I was thinking that it would take so many that it would be better to just use a PARC? Also curious if you have an info on building a Helmhotz resonator? Not actually out of the question as I have access to shop and lab equipment and would be looking at a 5-8db cut if I use optimum speaker placement.

Mondotrap looks interesting, may work in a corner for me.

I'll check info on the DEQ2496, probably stupid not to try it for the price. Probably would shift my direction to using an out board dac or something since my current digital player is optimized for tube analog out and doing A/D/A would give me an aneurysm. ;-)

Nik
Shadorne, can you recomend a unit that I look into? I guess it still puts me in the boat of going to a transport dac system, but I suppose I could try a TACT system or something.
Probably should pick up a copy of the Master Handbook of Acoustics to learn a bit more about the basics.

The basic school of thought that I have got off several forums is that Broadband bass trapping is the simplest acoustical method of dealing with room modes with my situation. I guess what people are telling me is that with increased broadband bass trapping I can bring up the nulls around 40hz and cut a bit on the 40hz hump. I think that the idea is that while I may not get a huge cut at 40hz if things are over all smoother my ears will fixate less on the problem area. I'm going to give this a try and then may explore other options.

As to the Behringer, it really seems to be a smoking deal in terms of features/price and as noted the spectrum analyzer function alone could be very useful. I think that many people are suspicious of adding another set of A to D to A to their system. I guess it is simple to try it with all settings flat and see what it does to the analog input. If it doesn't adversely effect inputs from vinyl or SACD then a suppose then hey there you go. I actually have few doubts about the digital side of the Behringer, but would be shocked if the analog output circuity cost more than a $1 ... it may sound pretty good but no matter how good your source you are now limited by the Behringer's output quality. For myself if I was running a transport / DAC set up like I was a couple years ago I would jump on trying it between the two. In that situation I would have all the benefits and still have my DAC's analog stage in line with the preamp.

Eldartford, in your system is the Behringer transparent with everything flat and using an analog input signal?

Thanks
Interesting, just found your review post. What are you using for a source if I may ask? Seemed from you other post you go from the 2496 straight to the amps?

Nik