$40.000 speaker advise. Check out my list

Hello all,

I'm currently owning a system which consists of Mark Levinson 33H amps, Mark Levinson Nr 32 Pre-amp, a Wadia 860x Cd player and a pair Revel Ultima Studio speakers. Cables are Nordost Valhalla/Valkyrja.

I believe my speakers are the weakest link in my system and am considering upgrading. I listen to all sorts of music, from jazz, classic to pop/dance.

I have a few speakers on my wish list but they are not easy to find to listen to them so I want ask you opinion first before I start searching for a dealer the have one or more of these brands.

Could you please go through the list and rank them from 1 to 6, best to "worse" speaker and explain why you think the list should be in that order.

The speakers I am thinking about are (in random order):

1. Sonus Faber Stradivari
2. Verity Sarastro
3. Lumen White white light
4. Rockport Antares
5. Revel Ultima Salon
6. Avalon Eidolon Diamond

Thanks a lot for your help.

Regards,

Max
maxx1973

Showing 5 responses by freemand

Best idea yet, send $32,000 to children that are dying of starvation which will probably save about 7,500 starving children and spend $8,000 on some awesome used speakers here on agon.

Your conscience will give you more joy for doing a good thing for humanity then what any $160,000 speakers could give anyone. Just a thought!!
Kkalman, thats intersting but I am stumped on writing the speakers off. Most of us don't have a business and or clients to write expensive 40,000 dollar speakers. How do you explain that one in an audit when you explain your confrence room needed $40,000 for a pair of speakers when we all know $400 speakers at best buy are more then adequate.

I like your idea of making your money work for you so you can do more in the future. I would rather like the guy who is generous giving large amounts to charities making a lot in the market then the selfish guy who hoards 10's of thousands of dollars on a cable but can't give a penny to those dying of starvation.
Jkalman, I guess thats a whole other world I am not use to. I write off my morgage and the money I give to charities, but 40 thousand to 40 million write offs are beyond me. I guess I am a common man living a common life owning a common dog. Wait....a chihuahua is not a common dog but more less a freak of nature. I give pocito (my dog) the bread of freakyness!!!

I can be quite assured of this, is a modded pair of $6,000 speakers will out perform many $40,000 pair of speakers. Maybe discovering many different things to increase a speakers performance has my confidence in this. The parts to mod may be anywhere from about a hundred to maybe a thousand pending how much you do. My thinking is why would someone ever pay a speaker manufactuer $40,000 is beyond me when modding $10,000 or less speakers or so profitable.

I think self pride and knowing you have a jaguar instead of a modded chevy is the deal IMO!
Jkalman, Being able to mod a component of lesser value to perform better or as good then more expensive components is been widely known by many audiophiles who want more better sound for less. Look at all the forums and hype on modding a oppo 981 for less then a thousand and those who have done it say it's in the area of $4000 to $7000 cd players. Rick Shultz does amazing things to the oppo.

As far as pride in owning a Jaguar then a modded chevy has been the fall of man since the beginning. Mans obsession for material is strong. Not my prejudice just the way man is. Our nature is we want to out do the guy down the street. Material is a status item to this society called America.
Jkalman, you honestly don't think man has a obsession for money and material?

If not you must be brand new to america, cause materialism is unfortunately strong in this country and fancy audio is no different then a fancy house or boat.

You obviously need to be right so your right as far as I am concerned.