$35K to spend, how will you build a system?

Never in any stereo system arrangement have I or anyone I know, ever initially proportioned out the money for the whole enchilada. We just bought this or that. We began somewhere and finished it all later on. Somehow.

Or, the proposition ‘finished’ became a moving target and the trek wandered about here and there, as the effort continued past the intentioned budget. Some steps were sideways, some allowed for definite improvements. Some moves took us a step backwards or merely into a different perspective.

All of the moves provided one benefit everytime, experience.

Experiences are what is being asked for in this topic.

Then one day, suddenly, buckets of duckets land in your yard and you want serious sounds? .

Here’s the question…

If you had it to do all over again, what do you put into a home audio system if you have $35,000.00 to spend?

Regardless the format, tubes, Solid state, mega watts or flea powered doesn’t matter. Its your rig and your money.

The destination is a rig with copius amounts of Acquired Illusionary Reality (AIR) in short, an involving alluringmost respectable, , “man I really hate to turn this thing off”, stereo system.

Because invariably someone will ask, so For the truly anal, the room is not in a mansion, has no dedicated power lnies, and is of moderate size 14 to 17ft wide, 18 to 23ft. long, 8.5ft. ceilings. Acoustically untreated. Closed off, or opened onto other areas, you make that call.

How do you feel you’ll spread the dough around immediately?

Address all four areas? Maybe attend to only amps and speakers, then later look towards other parts of the affair?

Example 1:
Find someone who already has a stellar sounding system, rent a room, and buy the new entry level Tesla..

Example 2
Buy new amp and speakers along with better than average cabling and isolation, just on a smaller scale.

Example 3
Spend it all in thirds, source, power, and speakers obtaining the best value possible, new or as re-sold because everything matters.

Example 4
By new SOTA speakers that you can find with the whole wad! Steal everything else.

What is your approach with $35K burning a hole in your pocket to acquire great sound? Can it even be done in 2017 with such a budget?

blindjim

Charles > Record Cleaning Machine/Dryer: KL Audio CLN LP200 Ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine/Dryer (New) -- $4,800.00
Power Conditioner: PS Audio Power Plant P3 (New) -- $1,500.00

Blindjim > hello Charles. Welcome back.
Nice job! Both sides of the coin too. Cool.
And under budget. Balance on LP gift certificate Mr. Sayjack. lol

Really? Record cleaning devices cost that much? Whoa. Whoa. Wow. I must rethink just what I’ve saving not having a TT!!! Whoa. Never bothered seeing the accessory list for TTs like cleaning gear. Man!

I knew something about cartridge cost, arms, platforms, phono preamps, etc.. nada on cleaning, straightening, flattening, etc. amazing.

So far, I’ve not heard an ‘active’ power line conditioner I’ve liked, or which has not adversely affected the sound quality. But, that is just me. I do enjoy the ‘passive’ conds effects ore.

I like the literal exercise.

Here is precisely the system I would build, using used equipment where you could find it (you'd have to, otherwise the new prices would be +$20k) .  I would target a super highly efficient speaker with a ton of dynamic punch that allowed top SET mono amps to shine.  I had to dump my whole analog front-end and album collection to come in just under $35K, which I would do in a heartbeat for this digital front end to hit this budget.

• Preamp = Atma-Sphere MP-1 3.3  $9000  (used)
  • Amps = Thoress 845 SET monos  $4500  (used)
  • Music Server = Sonore UltraRendu $875
  • dac =  Schiit Yggy $2300 
  • USB Regen = Uptone ISO Regen $325
  • USB cables (2) Rendu to IsoRegen to DAC = 2 Uptone USPCB A>B Adapters $70 
  • Linear Power for Ultrarendu and Iso Regen (2) = 2 Uptone UltraCap™ LPS-1 $800
  • Balanced power conditioner = Equi-Core 300 $799 
  • Speakers = Zu Druid 6 $10000 
  • Interconnects (2 pairs) = Audience SX $1900  (used)
  • Speaker cables = Audience SX $1200  (used)
  • Power cables (4) = 4 Shunyata Black Mambas $2000  (used)
  • iPad $450  (used)
  • Lifetime Roon $499 
Total $34718
Remaining $282 (spend on vibrapods and Tidal monthly fees until gone)

Truth be told, I actually made/would make a couple upgrades from here, but that would have put me over the $35K by a grand or two.  I would have gone upline on the Equi-Core to the 1800 or higher (looking now) and spent more on linear power supplies, maybe.  But I could live with what I listed for sure.  One could argue that I could/should save a few $ on an under-$10k-used set of Zu Definition 4s and get as good/better performance than the yet-to-be-released Zu Druid 6s, but my space is small and I think I could get a better total quality from the new smaller Druid 6s in my space.  

Shoot your arrows at all of it...welcome the feedback.

Parsons >   Preamp = Atma-Sphere MP-1 3.3 $9000 (used) - Amps = Thoress 845 SET monos $4500 (used)

Blindjim > nice. Thanks.

Sorry for being so late to reply her. Irma has given me some troubles so I’ve been a bit preoccupied.

845’s? aren’t these pricey in NOS iterations?

Assuming you have heard in part or together this preamp & amps combo, could you clue me in on either’s performance? Especially that of the preamp?

Secondly, simply the Aurender A10. Again, is this a piece you’ve actually heard demonstrated individually?

Your whole approach is quite interesting.

I have an entirely different setup in mind, and all of it in the ‘as yet unheard’ just imagined or ‘dreamed’ stages. Although a bit of what you have chosen would be most welcome in mine. It’s ending cost exceeds this criteria by a good bit. Albeit, the one I listed above using the harbeth mons seems decent enough if it all had to come . in on time.

Topology aside with respect to balanced or single ended, I do feel the upstream section of pre, source and amps does carry the load mostly so having a superior preamp even with merely a DAC and likely a tuner is IMO nearly a must. Its also where I’d input tubes if tubes could be inserted in just one area.

I’m liking in my dreams, VAC sig pre II, a pair of VAC IQ 200s in mono, or the Imagination series of Constellation, or maybe even an INT from Gryphon or Yipsalon.

speakers unknown, DAC unknown too but EMM labs or something more cost effective like the Comet or yegersol, or merely the A-10. Shunyata PCs or Elrods, or Pure Audio, none of which have I heard their latest greatest vers. PLC too is up in the air, but my default without audition could be Running Springs or something similar.

I’m torn between KEF blades I & II & . VA music or Listz. Each worry me as to power needs however.

Be well.

Blindjim, Gryphon Diablo 300 with DAC and possibly phono module too just in case. It will control the speakers like no other except Gryphon separates. Think of the speakers as a woman and amps as a man. It might not be the most beautiful song that will be sung but it will be the most clear open and confident. Gryphon.
As for the speakers..
Of what I heard or heard of my two choices for you, as I understand what you want to accomplish, would be Lansche and Kharma. My choices for myself would be the same plus Michael Green Audio custom speakers. I would have Michael voice the speakers with either Gryphon or Ypsilon or Lamm.
Additional thought is that I heard of at least two very respectable and serious audiophiles, and talked to one of them, who can afford a lot, who have Allnic separates in their systems. From what I could get Allnic would be a little too soft and not strong enough for me even assuming the right match with speakers. VAC is famous for its midrange, which is great but not good enough for me.