300b vs 845

I own a nice 300b amp but would like to know what I might gain/loose going to a 845 tube. I know I will get more watts and therefore more volume or dynamics, but that's really all I know. I have only heard one 845 amp, a ASL Lalya, its sound pretty good, but a little grainy.
Your thoughts would be a big help.
Thanks
Mike
128x128brm1

Showing 4 responses by artg

no heat issue really. the 845 845B and 845M all put out similar heat, and not as much as many. My monos use 4 of them, and the room is not hotter in any appreciable way. The 845M's are brighter (as in more lumens) than the 845 and 845B, but not hotter.
they're more different than better-worse. What you got now? what you lookin to improve on?
great write-up, Phil! really excellent info, and very well written

I share your impression of the various 845's as played through my Nagra VPA's, though never tried the KR's (some have caused shorts in the Nagra amps, so i'm hesitant).
Thanks for the very kind words, Phil. I am enjoying the VPA's very much these days. In fact, i will be receiving dsome NOS 12AX7's and E182CC's to drop into these puppies today! I cant wait. Thanks also for the tip on the upcoming SuperTNT 845M. I will be buying them also.