300B SET vs.Triode Strapped KT150's???

Can anyone comment on how close the Triode Strapped KT150's get you to the performance of a decent 300B SET.
 If it matters KT150 amp is SS Rectified & the 300B is Tube Rectified...I'm looking to get as much of the tonal purity & imaging/sound staging of the 300B SET as I can for less $...
 Thanks much,take care...
freediver

Showing 2 responses by charles1dad

Hello freediver,
I’d say if all factors are equal i.e.builder talent, part and output transformer quality and attention to the power supply the 300b would be my choice. I just believe that it is the superior tube sonically. But variables do matter.

I would expect a well implemented and built to a high standard KT 150 triode strapped amplifier to out perform a mediocre quality 300b SET. Transformers and power supply quality are substantial factors with these types of amplifiers. More influential than the type of power tube selected. I’d advise to place focus on the level of implementation.
Charles,
Vicweast,
If you get a high quality 300b SET and use appropriately efficient /sensitive speakers you'll discover that you can enjoy virtually all genres of music reproduced at a very high quality level.  This has been my pleasant experience the past 7 years. 
Charles,