300B or 845?

am new to tubes.
I have read the archives.
Can anyone explain the inherent differences between the sonic character of 300B and 845 tubes?
Given the amp cicuits are good and built to utilise the strengths of the tube - what differences are audible on 96db sensitivity speakers?
My music is all acoustic - and 90% is female vocal. I love the sound of a sweet intimate vocal - there are not that many - plus single instruments: guitar, viola, flute, fiddle. I like melody and rhythm. I don't cope with massed instruments be it orchestral or rock bands.
Any advice is deeply appreciated.
eril

Showing 1 response by swampwalker

Pubul57- I have used two different 300b SET amps in my 14 x 23 x 8.5 LR (with a large archway into a 2 level staircase/entry foyer) w my VSM-Ms. They are very nice for most of what I listen to (singer-songwriter, bluegrass, alt-country, folk, acoustic blues) but if you are looking for near live levels with orchestra or rock, I think you would not be satisfied. They make plenty of volume but when pushed, I do notice a bit of glare or harshness. The 300bs are around 10 watts. BTW, these are back-up integrated amps that I have for other uses. When either my main pre or amp is down, in they go and they are very satisfying. But I do always enjoy it when the VZN-80 goes back in, with 80 wpc.