300B or 845?

am new to tubes.
I have read the archives.
Can anyone explain the inherent differences between the sonic character of 300B and 845 tubes?
Given the amp cicuits are good and built to utilise the strengths of the tube - what differences are audible on 96db sensitivity speakers?
My music is all acoustic - and 90% is female vocal. I love the sound of a sweet intimate vocal - there are not that many - plus single instruments: guitar, viola, flute, fiddle. I like melody and rhythm. I don't cope with massed instruments be it orchestral or rock bands.
Any advice is deeply appreciated.
eril

Showing 1 response by sound_bites

[Keep in mind that modern 845s are not as good as the modern 300Bs]

Thats a respected opinion...but TJ Full Music, KR Audio and some others make premium 845 tubes that can compare to the best NOS 845 tubes (another opinion). This is from a comparison test with NOS RCA/WE glass using samples from TJ and KR Audio. I could not justify spending the $ on the NOS tubes with these well done modern gems available.

300B/845 are 2 different tubes with strengths in specific areas of the audio-band. If you want LUSH MIDS, an 845 can be the ticket...thought keep in mind 845's have rolled off bass and highs. 300B's are more well rounded across the audio-band but don't quite excel at the mid-range like a 845 tube can...again this is my (and my ears) opinion...