300B for Canary Grand reference

Dear all would love your recommendation for a warm sounding 300B for the above subject Amp currently I am using Gold lion.

jasbirnandra

I'm not sure any of the boutique 300B's fall into warm category anymore. Based on many reviews seems all are more in neutral camp, not trying to sound cool or warm. I can tell you the Acmes in this category, have natural timbre, but not warm and round.

I've noticed over years the golden glow sound is an antique sound, Today's preference is neutral flavor, natural timbre will not require one to seek warmth. I believe any of the modern boutique 300b's will be noticeable improvement over your present tubes. Now, if you're looking for rounder, warmer bass, full mids and rolled off highs, I don't know that any of the boutique tubes will give you this.t.

Tubes that provide natural timbre will not have you desiring more warmth. I'm quite sure the Acmes, and the other top tubes will make your present Gold Lions sound washed out and grey in comparison.

@sns 

Tubes that provide natural timbre will not have you desiring more warmth. I'm quite sure the Acmes, and the other top tubes will make your present Gold Lions sound washed out and grey in comparison

Stated so well and the truth in my opinion.  The upper tier 300bs excel at providing a "natural " purer sonic character. This is  very desirable as the unique differences between various recordings become very obvious and stand out.  If a recording has warmth you'll clearly hear it. If a recording is drier , cool or thin youll immediately recognize that sonic character.

There's no need for gratuitous warmth as it is not necessary.    I use EML XLS and last night I listened to 4 different jazz guitarist recordings.  There was plenty of instrumental tone warmth if recorded as such. At the same time plenty of air, articulation and subtle-inner detail made apparent.  

From my experience Takasuki and Elrog are similarly capable  and I'd imagine ACME and the current model W.E. 300b. I'm not suggesting that they all sound the same (They do not) . But they do share an avoidance of "added" fake warmth coloration. They strive for natural/neutral tonal presentation. The upper level 300bs will provide all the tonal body, harmonic color richness that's present.  They just won't make it up.

Charles 

@jasbirnandra what did you end up buying?  As you know I have the Western Electric in my Grand Reference.

I've got the new Western Electric ones in my Eddie Current 300B, and those are excellent - much better than the Gold Lions I had previously...  I'm sure you could find others that sound as good for less money, but I didn't want to spend a lot of time and effort trying out different ones.