300B Amps

NEED TO KNOW IF THE POWER DOUBLES IF YOU HAVE 4-OHMS SPEAKERS...OR YOU NEED SPEAKERS THAT ARE 8-OHMS WITH A 90DB OR HIGHER DB...IS IT POSSIABLE TO RUN MAGGIES ON 300B AMP...
ALSO WHAT A DECENT 300B AMP PRICE AND SOUND WISE...
THANKS, NEAL-VITO.
128x128nealvito
300b amps do not double their output into 4 ohms (although the beefier Art Audio amps might put out more power into 4 ohms than a classically designed 300b). 8 ohm or higher impedence is preferable, power might even increase a little bit. Higher sensitivity is desirable if you like to listen to your music loud. My speakers are 97db and the 8 watts of 300b is not enough for my listening tastes.

While it is "possible" to drive the Magnepans with the 300b, you will not maximize either of them. Both were designed to work better with other equipment. Listen before you buy.
Berning Siegfried 300B ZOTL will handle a variety of loads. But, I agree with Ultrakaz that a 300B amp is not the best choice for Maggies. Better to go with the Wolcott amps. Maggies need alot of power, typical 300B amp has about 8 watts You will not be happy with a 300B and Maggies.
For what it's worth, I am driving my maggies 1.6 with the AES SE-1 SET amp (300b, 7W) with a pleasing result. My room is small though (13'x15')

Ake