$3000 Speaker/electronics budget

Hi All,

I am a bit new to the home theater system market and am asking this question on the behalf of a friend. He has $3000 to spend on speakers,amplification and processing. I do not believe the DVD source is part of this budget. Any suggestion as to what components can be obtained at this price point would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
krazeeyk

Showing 2 responses by memeboy

Newmanoc is right. Hearing the speakers at home is the only way to get a true idea of what will work in an environment. But that is impossible for many buyers. So, we must go with second best, which is to buy speakers that are accurate and have been found to sound good in many situations. I am a dealer, so I will not make brand name recommendations in this thread, but I have heard many speakers in many environments over 30 years of listening to hifi, and some speakers have so many things wrong with them that it would take great luck to find a room that would make them accurate. On the other hand, once one has chosen an accurate speaker, there are things one can do to reduce the effects of the room and let that accuracy shine through.