$3000 on Analog system - how to spread?

How should I spread this FIRST infusion of cash. Next one being perahaps a year out.

Ex.

Table - 50%
Arm - 15%
Cartridge - 15%
Phonostage - 20%

Or,

Phonostage - 40%
Table - 30%
Arm - 20%
Cartridge - 10%

Any sensible way to do this? What's the best upgrade path. Thanx
pawlowski6132

Showing 2 responses by psychicanimal

I've never looked at my audio purchases like that, especially my analog rig. I use a KAB modded Technics SL-1200MKII. In terms of money it's not much but its technology to price ratio is BIG.

I suggest you look at system goals, if you have any. If not, now it's a good time to think about goals. If budget is tight, then consider a sensible upgrade path and stick to it. Three thousand will get great sound if spent wisely. That would cover what I have and have some $$$ left: TT, two cartridges, Monolithic Sound phono stage, Ridge Street Audio cabling. I have no need to upgrade, just a couple more mods and I'm set. As good or better as any $7-8K rig...

If you intend to keep the sound them Cary amps and CD give you ( and I'm familiar with them ) then your phono set up should orbit around a phono pre that will be complementary to what you already like. Dan Wright has a new hybrid phono stage which is killer and you'd be happy to keep.

PS >>>> For those who doubt my KAB modded Stanton DJ cartridge has the midrange of a $1500 MC but without the artificial HF artifacts/soundstage bloom. Trackability & bass are kick ass.

And, I'm surprised to hear that the phono stage has relatively small impact on sound. I'm glad I asked.
Says who? Ask people who know, or find out for yourself!

Dejan Veselinovic, an European audio journalist/circuit designer will bluntly tell you that the phono stage is the most important. Why? Give it some thought...he's not denying anywhere that 50% of the info is on the time domain component provided by the turntable's motion. It's because the phono stage is amplifying/equalizing extremely delicate signals which are highly succeptible to noise pollution and phase smear (good to read Magnan's website for more info). Circuit topology has a lot to do with this. I chose the Monolithic PS-1 because its circuit topology is essentially that of a Klyne, with the exception that it uses op-amps in the output stage. It pays to do good research...