$3000 alternatives to Decware Zen Torii tube amp?

Hey guys,

In the future I'll be buying a $3000 tube amp and pre, and I'm needing insight on my options, used or new.

My favored sound is emotionally involving and musical, lush, and has a great midrange for vocals. I dislike a bright sound.

Speakers at the moment might be a Nola Boxer, 8ohm 90dB.

I have *very* strong interest a Decware Zen Torii, and the main purpose of this is to ask if there's any alternatives to the Zen Torii I should consider. Would I be doing the right thing by my musical tastes if I get the Torii, or am I making a mistake and there are better options?

(I'm aware the Torii, while it has volume control, would like a pre-amp, and so I'd buy one in the future while I live off the built in volume control)
hygienist

Showing 2 responses by psag

I've lived with the Zen Torii now for a few months, and its a world-class amp. Liquid midrange, clarity and extension, sounding every bit like a top-notch SET amp. The value to price ratio is insanely high. I would put this amp up against the Wavac ec300B (which I also own) any day. This is the best of American engineering and craftsmanship.
Yes Charles, in terms of tonal purity and extension the Torii competes with the Wavac. Its also just as quiet, which amazes me at this pricepoint. Advantages of the Torii: 25 watts versus 10, adjustable impedance, adjustable bass and treble controls for speaker matching, volume control, adjustable feedback.