3-way under 1000 new.

Looking to buy a 3way speakers that is under $1000 new. I like jazz, blues, and classical. Are there any out there for this price point? I see most of the good ones start around $1500. I have an all tube system if that helps in the advise.

thanks
tube777

Showing 4 responses by twl

Buy a pair of Lowther DX3 for $795, build a simple cabinet, and you will never think about 3-ways again. You will have a brand new set of speakers that work wonderfully with tubes, costs well under $1000, and has sound that makes ANY $1000 3-way seem like a poor choice. Concerned about the highs and lows with a single driver? How does 36Hz-20kHz sound to you? How about 98db efficiency with 1 watt input? And detail that sound like you took the blanket off. Think about it.
I think what people are trying to say is, that bi-wiring is not going to make up for the deficiencies of the speaker. It is a tall order to make a good 3-way speaker for $1K for the pair. If you take the simple method of looking at the dollars, a typical 40% dealer profit puts cost at $600. The manufacurer probably also makes about 1/2 that, or $300. That leaves about $150 for assembly labor like building the cabinets, and maybe $150 to buy 6 drivers, 2 3-way crossovers, connectors, MDF and veneer, wire, grilles, and shipping boxes. If you're lucky, you may get a $20 woofer, a $15 midrange, and a $10 tweeter. Is this what you want to bi-wire to your nice amps? Since I am aware of this, I bought $900 fullrange drivers(Lowther) and made my own cabinets, of a proven design, for a couple hundred. Guess which one will sound better? My point, just like the other posters above have tried to make, is that less can be more, particularly in the lower price ranges. With a 2-way system at the same price point, more of the money can be spent on better drivers, and can get you better sound for your buck. But you must audition, because sometimes you get poor quality drivers in 2-way also. This is the reality of retail audio, and it applies to amps, and everything else, as well as speakers. Now you know why people are spending mega-bucks on their systems.
777, it seems to me that you pretty much have decided where you want to go, and are looking for others to help justify your decision. All I can say is , that I gave you my best opinion on the matter, and some figures to back it up.

I agree with Unsound, that if you can't build cabinets, then good condition used speakers like Vandersteens could get you good sound for your price.

Adding different drivers to a box without knowing what you are doing is a recipe for disaster. I've been building and designing speaker systems for going on 30 years now. Take my word for it.
One of the things I have found on this forum, is that the Vandersteen speakers are widely recommended from all kinds of different audiophiles with different viewpoints. Any speaker that gets that kind of consensus on these pages must have something going for it. I think you will find it good sound for the money.