3-Dimensional Soundstage

I have appreciated a quite nice separation of instruments in my system's soundstage.  I have read many times about people experiencing depth in their music and have never appreciated this.  I was talking to an audiophile friend this week about it and he brought up the fact that recorded music is a mix of tracks and how could there be any natural depth in this?  If there was a live recording then yes, it is understandable, but from all studio music that is engineered and mixed, where would we get depth?  Are the engineers incorporating delays to create depth?

dhite71

I do think we are in agreement about the roles of cables and acoustic treatments,

I think so....

I apologize myself , your post was clear enough, it is just that sometimes i like too much the discussion arena for the sake of discussing ... 😁😊

My deepest respect to you...

williewonka

2,776 posts

@mahgister - I have just read through my prevoius post and noticed that I had made reference to the words "you".and "your" in the paragraph...

Generally speaking, my observations have been that if you want depth, you need to treat the area between the speakers and behind the listener.  Diffusors between the speakers, first reflection, etc.

My room is unfortunately practically square. I do get some layering which I'm content with. The one time I was able to hear real depth is when I was sitting on the floor listening to my new stand mounts (no stands yet).The soundstage was way beyond the walls and out in the yard. Very cool but bizarre.

Agreed on the points Erik listed - but in additon to those treatments

• I have found that treatments at ceiling hight at the wall behind the listener to be beneficial
  • I have used a "vinyl curtain" mounted at ceiling height, dropping down around 18 inches
    • You can buy clear vinyl around 1mm thick from the web for a less noticeable application
  • I did try different lengths, but 18" was th optimum
  • my room was 12 x 15 and 8ft high, with a window behind the listening position and a double opening in the center of the left hand wall

I noticed improved clarity and details once the drape was employed

I also tried this at a friends apartment and it worked very well

• the ceiling was concrete and 12 ft high, the floors were hardwood and it was open plan - so the reflections were coming form everywhere
  • the vinyl drape was employed in a couple of places at the wall/ceiling boundary and it worked extremely well

Regards - Steve