3.1 or 2.1 Home Theater setup for desktop

So I am trying to setup my own hifi 3.1 setup (left,right,center,sub) and I was wondering how I should go about this. I have been trying to absorb as much knowledge as I can in doing this endeavor on my own, but I am left with so many questions and I would love to hear from others on their recommendations.

Now for the build I am running off a near $1000 budget and wouldn't mind it being cheaper than $500, but can work up to $1000. From what I have been reading, I think I would like to incorporate a tube amp instead of SS if possible, but it's not a requirement. I want the center speakers and the left and right speakers to hopefully not be too big as it needs to fit on a standard sized desk. Not that it needs to be stated, but high quality listening experience when at the desk is what I am aiming for. It'd be for everything (Music/TV/Gaming/Youtube Videos) I would love to hear everyone's suggestions.  

Also the center channel can be optional if that helps.
thatcdac

Showing 1 response by mahler123

I strongly agree with @soix .  I would start without the center speaker in such a small setup.  You can always add one later as funds allow if you really feel the need.  I use the Silverline Minuets as fronts in one of my HT systems (with a Silverline Center and a Paradigm Sub) and the result is great.  A tube amp will eat a lot of budget; save that for later and you can still have great sound