2x bryston 4b sst biamping or 14b sst single

I , I'm new in the forum but i read you a lot. i have a question for you guys . i want to know the best set up for my magnepan 3.6r, do i buy a bryston 14b sst for stereo only or go bi amping with 2x bryston 4b sst, my pre-amps will be a VTL 2.5. thank in advance
sss281

Showing 1 response by zd542

Your preamp is really good. Its very underrated product. As far as the amps go, I don't think there will be a big difference in sound quality given how similar they both are. You should have plenty of power either way. If I had to make the choice, I would pick 2 4's and do a vertical biamp. I like going vertical for 2 reasons. 1. You can use each 4 in mono but I find that bridging an amp usually alters sound quality in a negative way. 2. Using one 4 for highs and the other for lows is not a good idea either. Each amp will be under a different load. The sound will vary depending on how hard you work it.

Going vertical eliminates the issues I mention above. The amps will be running un bridged and with the same load on each one.

That said, I would still try to demo both amps. You may like the sound of the 14 better for some reason. Bryston and Magnepan have always been a very good match, so you should have no problem finding a dealer that has both brands.