$2k for new Cartridge Benz LP or......

Hi all,

I'm looking to change my cartridge and have the opportunity to trade my Benz Ruby 2 for an LP for $2k. I will be able to hear the LP but not in my system...and the system I will hear it in is significantly differnent so the excercise may be less than useful. I also have Helikon on hand but found it not as pleasing through the mid band as the Benz. It is sitting on the shelf with probably less than 200hrs on it.

What else is out there around the $2k mark that would have the ease through the mid band and some slam..I have refurbed stacked ESLs running back through a Berning ZH 270 or Futterman H3 or Various vintage amps to an Aesthetix Io Sig with VC & 2 supplies . Arm is an SMEV and Hovland MusicGroove 2.

$2K is a challenge I know.. but this is the ease of entry for the LP I'd really love an upper end Koetsu but the $$$ are not workable now..Thanks for any comments.
nkj

Showing 1 response by tubes108

The Benz LP is somewhat of a departure from the rest of the Benz line. I've heard people who say that don't like the "Benz sound" also state that they really like the Benz LP. It is an excellent cartridge. I am not sure if you can get more for your $2k than the performance obtained from the LP. The upgrade is a nice way to get into the upper echelon of cartridges. It is what, a $4k to $5k cartridge? Regarding used cartridges, I’d prefer to acquire a new cartridge than someone’s used cartridge. This is not to say that used cartridges are problematic, this is just my preference.

I'd say check out that system that has the Benz LP. Although different from your system, if you like what you hear you know that the LP is not doing anything to the music that you don't like, and thus worthy of your consideration. If you love what you hear, I'd consider going thru with the upgrade. If you don't like what you hear, than it becomes more of a gamble as it may be difficult to determine if it is the Benz or another component that contributes to the sound that you do not like.

I bet those stacked Quads sound real nice!