2a3 or 300b amp for me ?

I have Klipsch Cornwall speakers and want to get a set amp to try out with them for 2000 dollars or less. The short list is a Welbourn 300b or a Wright Sound Labs 2A3 or 300b amp. All of these amps come highly recommemnded. I listen to jazz in a 14x25 room room at moderate levels. Comments are appreciated on the sound of a 2a3 vs a 300b and the suitablilty of these amps for my listening situation. Where does one tube type excell over the other if any place. Has any one listened to both to compare them ( tube types, not necessarliy the specific amps ).

thanks,

Larry
larry510

Showing 1 response by fjgiovino56

I have been comparing the two tube types on my Lowther Lamhorns, using amps from Electraprint audio, built by Jack Elliano himself, monoblocks, one pr built as 2a3's using nos tubes USN dated 1943, the other pr as 300b's using Sophia mesh Princess tubes(a new pr of Sophia's arrives tonight, having been assured by Sophia that they are an improvement. Listen to classical chamber music only.

The 2a3's are sweet as they could be, particularly great on clarinet and flute, as well as piano. One easily gets to love them. My pair of amps has silver output transformers so these are very quick and transparent, and again, very sweet. Just a real treat and real live beauty.

The 300b's have a wonderful midrange, a fuller lower mid (cello, double bass) and a guttines on all strings that reminds me of live, which is really sometimes even sqeaky, unless Gil Shaham is using his Strad.. If I could pick only one pr to live with forever, would pick the 300b's by a slight margin. Am waiting to see if the new Sophia tubes can sway me even further. also waiting to see how much $ Jack Elliano will charge me for new silver trannies for the 300b's.

Love them both. The tubes you use are critical on both amps, as is the bias. New Sovtek 2a3's are very good, but the nos USN are sweeter. Am collecting a harem of amps, waiting to be able to buy an OTL Tenor pr, so can compare.
Join the search for the Holy Grail and you will always be happy.