$25k vs $200k

Can any of you audiophools relate? For the longest time, (maybe 10 years), I wouldn't go to a high end audio store (living in NY, this was, at first, very hard to resist) to listen to, what I knew, would be better sounding systems. I feared that after listening to a superior system, I wouldn't be able to go back and enjoy my humble audio, after a tympanic tango with some, true, audio greatness. Well, quite the contrary, since I found out, (this is what you do on a rain delay Yankee game, with boring basketball on the Olympic station, and not a book to read in the house) that listening to systems much costlier, and better (for the most part) have given me a deeper appreciation for my system, especially related to cost vs sound quality. This was, perhaps, most reinforced, with my last go 'round at Sound by Singer. Any audiophools out there have similar experiences? peace, warren
128x128warrenh

Showing 1 response by exertfluffer

I've said it many times, I know...and that's that "It all comes down to BALANCE!"
I've worked in 4 ultra high end salons, as well as 2 audio/video chain stores (higher end ones at that). And in that time I've come to realize that MUCH OF THE TIME, systems are either "down", in a constant state of "change" and fluctuation of gear combo's, and/or are "ill-set up" to begin with!
Many many many times the gear in an audio showroom is NOT MAXIMIZED, or the stuff just doesn't go well together. I've 2channel complete systems consisting of Wilson Watt Puppies, driven by Krell or Audio Research, Nero, whatever, with some high end digital front end and Class A preamp combo, all running over $80K dollar wise (2 channel) SOUNDING AWEFUL!!! Actually, this is quite common. Then, in the same store, you could have a small Theil system that's so well balanced and cohesive, that it's just WORKING!
Still, with the right combo of high end gear, properly set up and dialed in, you can pull away from the lesser system, no problem.