$250,000 Ears? How do you know your hearing is different?

Just wondering if others experience events regularly that demonstrate a level of hearing that is beyond normal?

What event highlighted to you that your hearing is more acute or discerning than others?

I have had many experiences through life from being able to hear a baby cry when others could not to being able to determine live instruments from music playback from outside a venue.

My most recent experience was in church last week. We arrived late. We were seated at the back. Very quickly I became entranced by the sound of the piano played during the first hymn. After a few minutes I remarked to my wife if she could hear something special about the piano. Even after pointing it out she did not hear anything at all worth remarking. Although we could not see the piano from the back I said to her well they seem to have a new piano (purely judging by the sound). After another hymn I asked her if she could hear that the piano was not just different but it was remarkable in its clarity, balance, timbre and tone. I said I don’t think I have ever heard a live piano sound so good. The wife kind of puzzled now just shrugged. Probably even more puzzled because we went late to mass due to commitments and we had not been to this particular cathedral in months - so what basis could anyone have for discussing the relative sounds of a mere piano with the last listening being months ago. After the service I went up front and took a good look at the piano. I was not at all delusional. It was a stunning Steinway Grand (on loan to the church). The organist was very proud and apparently the value of this Steinway was $250,000 !!!!!

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xshadorne

Showing 1 response by nonoise

Well trained ears indeed. I remember reading of "golden ears" being able to discern different DAC chips in CD players back shortly after they came out. A well trained ear, eye, nose or tongue can easily tell the differences. We just don't give ourselves enough credit, and envy those who do.

All the best,
Nonoise