24/96 upsampling vs. 24/192 upsampling vs. no upsampling?

I am interested in digital upsampling; however, I have never heard a DAC or CDP that upsamples. Can anyone tell me their thoughts on 24/92 upsampling vs. 24/192 upsampling vs. no upsampling at all (sonically)? Is upsampling that much better? How is it different from the 2x, 4x, and 8x sampling players of the past? Currently I use a Camelot Uther 20 bit DAC in my system, and a 24/192 upsampling upgrade will soon be offered by Camelot in the near future. I am wondering if it is worth it to upgrade. I am also interested in the Perpetual Technology digital gear. Thank you for any insight into these questions.
128x128tok20000

Showing 1 response by lpim

The comment about "not reproducing music accurately" in the aforementioned web site was directed towards the resolution enhancement feature of the P-1A.

Upsampling is a related, but different process. Together with jitter reduction, upsampling offered me a clearer, less grainy, much crisper reproduction of the music. I think it's worth an audition if you can stomach the cost. PT does offer a 30-day trial.

In my opinion, however, SOCS is the real strong point of the P-1A. That's where you really appreciate the price/performance advantage of the P-1A.

I own a P-1A and leave resolution enhancement off, but some people may prefer to have it on. It really depends on your gear and your taste. My experience has been that resolution enhancement *can* make *some* music sound "better".