24/192 rez with M2Tech HiFace

Hi all,

I just received the M2Tech Hiface and I am unable to play 24/192 files in WAV, FLAC or AIFF. 24/96 files seem to work OK. I am using a PS Audio DLIII DAC which supports 24/192 resolution. My preferred player is Media Monkey but I've installed the kernel streaming plug ins for both Media Monkey and Foobar, set kernel streaming output in both players but neither will play the files. I downloaded a 24/192 track from an HD website and that seemed to work. Perhaps the problem is with my CD ripping/conversion method? I rip CD's to WAV 16/44.1 then convert them to both WAV 24/96 and WAV 24/192 using DB Poweramp and the latter will not play. I also tried ripping a CD directly to WAV 24/192 but this didn't work either. The same applies to conversions to AIFF and FLAC. Any suggestions? Thanks.
mjm1124

The Hiface does indeed pass true 24/192.

I'm thinking power amp had a hiccup during the conversion.

something may have corrupted the file during the process... some service or anti virus app might have fouled things up while the process was ongoing.

Something went wrong IF the downloaded 'true' or 'native' file played well.

it's true too that little if anything is gained by upsampling & converting to higher res files from lower ones. it's about content not just numbers.

Once done up, you've simply got a larger file containing the same info.

TIP... when converting up... just use doubles of the sampling rate. 44 > 88; 48 > 96; 88 ? 176; 96 > 192.

IF the orig track is recorded at higher rates initially, that's a high res file and will contain more info

It's almost like taking a MP3 and turning it into a WAV file... so what? Same stuff, just bigger.

conversions aren't bad things but mostly it's for players whose format or file types is limited... like they don't play FLAC or AIF... not just the word or freqs.

Good luck.
The hiface will pass true native 192 files via usb via spdif. You will not hear a difference if your files started as 44. Let the DAC III upsample for you. I am using both in my main system.
Your DL-III is an up-sampling DAC that will automatically up-sample your 16/44.1 files to either 24/96 or 24/192 depending on which setting you selected. In the case of CDs and 16/44.1 files, it is not necessary to convert them to higher bit and sample rates (which Rwwear refers to in his post). I'm not familiar with the M2Tech Hiface, are you sure it will support 192? Does MediaMonkey support 192? Many servers, such as Squeezecenter, are limited to 24/96.

Try posting over at the Computer Audiophile here
How does converting the 16 bit files to 24 bit help? The resolution will still be the same. You are just using more space.