24/192 Big Improvement Over 24/96????

Just saw that HD Tracks have released Miles Davis Kind of Blue in both 24/96 and 24/192 formats; which one do I get? Is it worth the extra expense to go to the higher resolution format, have you noticed any improvements with this recording, or any other, when stepping up from 24/96 to 24/192?

Second question; the remastered CD of Kind Of Blue sounds very good to me; is the HD Tracks digital download noticeably superior?
mgattmch

Showing 1 response by levy03

in my experience (4 years into hi-res), it can go either way. i've experimented with over a dozen 96 vs 192 recordings and still wouldn't/can't say which resolution "sounds better". when one does sound better then the other, i wouldn't call it a "big improvement". it's rather subtle imho.

the only hi-res conclusions i've reached so far(regarding my rig/room/ears)

1) my best 192 recordings sound "better" then my best 96's....but then a good 96 sounds better then a "not so good" 192 =). have also found some very good redbook recordings that can trump my not so good higher res recordings

2) hi res WAV (96 and 192) burned to dvd sounds better then the same recording/resolution streamed from FLAC. *i think* this has more to do with the synergy between my transport/dac then the file type itself, but thought i'd throw it out there regardless.(or maybe it's the limitations of streaming itself??)

sorry, i have no factual explanation to support/back up either of my conclusions. seems resolution is just a single aspect/variable in the complex formula that yields "the best sound".

cheers