2020 update : JC Verdier La Platine

A recent encounter with a JC Verdier dealer as well as a recent Audiogon discussion thread led to the start of this thread. He was in my house updating my La Platine which had been in storage for ten years with thread and oil. While he has high regards for the deck, his newer clients nevertheless prefer a Techdas iii than an 'old' La Platine. Given the proliferation of expensive decks in the past dozen years, La Platine has become very much under-appreciated. 

It's clear to me that the influence of the La Platine is everywhere to be found. Specifically, the magnetic suspension system that was employed 30+ years ago. Even SOTA offers their newer decks with mag. lev. features. And if you read this review: https://www.callas-audio.nl/Callas%20Platine%20Mod%20Kit%20Review.pdf, the Continuum Caliburn uses the same concept, which was not acknowledged in Fremer's review, albeit with more sophisticated , and expensive, execution.

It is also clear to me that there is much misunderstanding of the workings of the La Platine. I for one have contributed to this. The motor of the La Platine, for example, has been much maligned. The thread drive is another aspect of the turntable that have been described as inferior. With regard to the motor and thread drive, I have been set straight by Chris @ct0517 and Lyubomir @lbelchev. Experimenting with the different types of silk threads, the tightness to the platter  and a renewed understanding of the soundness of the Philips motor have been rewarded with better dynamics and transparency. 

The funny thing is that during the past two years of re-engagement with audio, I have questioned ownership of every components in my arsenal except the La Platine. It has always been a keeper. I wonder if La Platine owners would contribute to celebrating this 'old' deck with tales, advice, and insights?

Cheers!
ledoux1238

@ledoux1238 

thank you for your kind comments about my system . It has significantly changed since I posted the pictures . With couple of rtr decks . Will be updating the pictures and the components in my system .

I will defenitely try to compare the platine and nouvelle platine in his shop . That would give me a good idea.

I am upgrading my catridge in my sme from lyra etna lambda sl to lyra atlas lambda sl . Expecting a good improvement.

I am so hooked to analogue with my reel tape machine and vinyl that I think a second table will be an investment that I will be listening to every day .

will listen in my dealers shop and then go from there .

@newtoncr If you do venture into a Verdier, I would sincerely appreciate a follow-up from you. My friend has a SME 30/2 with various arms / cartridge changes, and  I could never get a handle of the differences between the two TT, too many variables. In addition, he has a much more resolved system than mine with Dartzeel and Magico in the loop. I have always been curious about the the true measure of the 30/2. The Lyra Etna Lambda SL is high on my list of the next step up. 

@ledoux1238 

i sure will .

I am also considering the Grand Prix parabolica table. A direct drive table .

another totally different direction of music reproduction.

the platine with the magnet my  audio friends are advising against because of the magnet .  They are sure the flux magnetic head on the atr with the mr70 head amps will pick it up for sure . So the decision is between nouvelle vs parabolica. 

I plan to demo them within a month and decide .

@phantom_av Sorry to be a nuisance, but I was wondering if your Japanese motor experiment is bearing fruit? 

No worries,

Its from Vietnam both motor and controller.

The seller ended up sending me a unit that would not power up. Firstly i asked for the Steel casing he sent me aluminum casing for the motor housing. I was already pissed of about that, second, the motor controller was not working i asked him to send me another one. im still waiting for the controller,

I dont recommend this seller at all, he took the funds really fast kept changing my order, spec and sent me stuff that does not work.

This is why i am not dare to talk about the motor or conroller on here.