2020 update : JC Verdier La Platine

A recent encounter with a JC Verdier dealer as well as a recent Audiogon discussion thread led to the start of this thread. He was in my house updating my La Platine which had been in storage for ten years with thread and oil. While he has high regards for the deck, his newer clients nevertheless prefer a Techdas iii than an 'old' La Platine. Given the proliferation of expensive decks in the past dozen years, La Platine has become very much under-appreciated. 

It's clear to me that the influence of the La Platine is everywhere to be found. Specifically, the magnetic suspension system that was employed 30+ years ago. Even SOTA offers their newer decks with mag. lev. features. And if you read this review: https://www.callas-audio.nl/Callas%20Platine%20Mod%20Kit%20Review.pdf, the Continuum Caliburn uses the same concept, which was not acknowledged in Fremer's review, albeit with more sophisticated , and expensive, execution.

It is also clear to me that there is much misunderstanding of the workings of the La Platine. I for one have contributed to this. The motor of the La Platine, for example, has been much maligned. The thread drive is another aspect of the turntable that have been described as inferior. With regard to the motor and thread drive, I have been set straight by Chris @ct0517 and Lyubomir @lbelchev. Experimenting with the different types of silk threads, the tightness to the platter  and a renewed understanding of the soundness of the Philips motor have been rewarded with better dynamics and transparency. 

The funny thing is that during the past two years of re-engagement with audio, I have questioned ownership of every components in my arsenal except the La Platine. It has always been a keeper. I wonder if La Platine owners would contribute to celebrating this 'old' deck with tales, advice, and insights?

Cheers!
ledoux1238

Showing 3 responses by xdr

My turntable is a JC Verdier Nouvelle Platine, the one without the magnetic bearing, but with the same platter and motor. I have just upgraded it with the Sota Eclypse combo,and an OL belt. Speed accuracy is better (between 33,332 and 33,336) but W&F Less precise (0,08 instead of 0,06 %) I used the Analog Magik to have the figures. The issue with the motor of the Verdier is simple,you are not able to set with precision the speed. Musical results are better with The Eclipse combo.
@ledoux1238
Were you using the thread drive before?

A: Yes I always use linen thread.
I made also tests with silk, kevlar thread. figures were very bad for kevlar.

2. Will the motor spindle on the SOTA Eclipse accommodate a thread drive? I believe the reduction in W&F reading is due to the belt acting on the platter.

A: Yes I used the motor and the pulley provided by Sota to test thread and 1/4 magnetic tape as a belt (like Galibier or Artemis lab). You right about W&F. I used also a long belt 150mm, not a good idea. I think a shorter will be better with the motor close to the plinth.

3. Have you tried a tape drive offered by Galibier, say?

A: yes very good figures in terms of speed accuracy with magnetic tape, but bad in terms of W&F. I try to found a kapton belt like the one provided by Galibier.

4. Does the motor come with its own housing or do you have to build one? I meant to write to SOTA, but never got around to it.

A: I made one compact wood box filled with hunting lead (around 6kg) for the motor.

5. What arm and cartridge are you using?

The arm I used at this moment is a FunkFirm FX3 (after a Schroder ) with a Sculpture A A4 silver coils cartridge (a french handmade cartridge, available by the way in NA see Artisan Fidelity or Sonare Coeli for exemple)

6. Would you say the sonic improvements were across the board and immediately noticeable?

YEs and I made measures and records (same 30 seconds track of piano solo) . I share them on a very popular forum in France and people were able to listen the difference between stock motor and Sota combo. Better bass, stability and also clarity. the speed accuracy is better also
@ledoux : I confirm you can use the motor both with belt and thread. I tried both and linen is far better than Silk or kevlar.