2020 Lesser Known Artist Videos

Is it me or has there been a shortage of recordings/videos by emerging talents that are worthy to notice?  I've gone through a number of "Top Ten" lists to no avail.  So - here is my list of nine lesser known artists and videos that appeared in 2020.  

Jacopo Mastrangelo
The guitarist Jacopo Mastrangelo gives an exciting performance, on a terrace overlooking a deserted Piazza Navona, the notes

of the soundtrack of "Once Upon A Time In America" by maestro Ennio Morricone.
Coronavirus, suona Ennio Morricone su Piazza Navona deserta, l'assolo del chitarrista è da brividi

Sierra Eagleson
Sierra Eagleson - Midnight Hour (Official Video)
Sierra Eagleson's Twitter PageI

Coles Whalen
Coles Whalen - Love Me Loving You
Coles Whalen - Let's Be Lovers
Coles Whalen - We're Gonna Make It Right
Coles Whalen - Facebook

John Smith
John Smith - Friends. Live at Real World Studios
John Smith - Home Page

The Petersens
When You Say Nothing At All - The Petersens (LIVE)

Emily Cavanagh
Emily Cavanagh- Kettle of Fish
Emily Cavanagh - Home Page

Morgan James
Grace by Jeff Buckley (Morgan James cover)
A Change Is Gonna Come by Sam Cooke (Morgan James Cover)
Morgan James - Home Page

Larkin Poe
Larkin Poe | Back Down South (Official Video) - Feat. Tyler Bryant
Larkin Poe - Home Page

Muriel Anderson -
Eleanor Rigby l Collaborations l Tommy Emmanuel with Muriel Anderson
Muriel Anderson demonstrates her Doolin Harp Guitar for Peghead Nation
Muriel Anderson - Home Page

Also - By more well known artists....

Gordon Lightfoot
Gordon Lightfoot - Return Into Dust - Official Lyric Video

The Staves
The Staves – Home Alone Too (Live)

bigquery
Take a moment for listen.

A few notes on these folks....

Jacopo Mastrangelo is a young man who captured his nation’s attention when composer Ennio Morricone (The Untouchables, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) this year. I’ll have to admit I wasn’t prepare for the national grief present in Italy when the composer passed away. Somehow a teenager playing a electric guitar from a rooftop to an empty place captured the void which so many felt.

Sierra Eagleson is an internet rockstar. Not bad for someone who hasn’t recorded a CD or been on tour ! She and her brother, Chase Eagleson, just decided to start singing one day and make some videos. Her raspy alto gives her singing a feeling of authenticity which brings the listener into an emotional confessionals, Her cover of Phil Collins’ In The Air Tonight is a revelation - but just another example of a young woman who has more talent than her years would suggest.

Coles Whalen is a veteran of Denver’s musical community. She now has six recordings to her name - all tunes that she has penned herself or co-written. She sings a country-tinged folk which is instantly likable. Her songs all have a upbeat musical point of view. Little wonder her shows are usually sold out. The tunes I’ve provided links for are from an upcoming album. Listen to them now for a preview which will leave you wanting more.

John Smith’s home page has this description of his art: "Steeped in the lineage of British folk, taking his cue from Richard Thompson and John Martyn, Smith has evolved a transatlantic blend of fingerstyle and slide guitar techniques. " If you’ve wondered where British Folk has gone, your first stop should be his recordings.

"The Petersens are made up of four siblings (Katie, Ellen, Matt & Julianne), their mom, dad, and dear friend, Emmett Franz." Their music defines Americana sans any trace of blues. One has the feeling that Xmas at their house is more about everybody offering up a song and less about opening gifts. Give these folks a try!

Emily Cavanagh is a New York City based singer/songwriter. Emily "has an ebullient vocal style influenced by the singers of the forty’s and fifty’s, while maintaining a great pop sensibility. Cavanagh, an independent artist, is a published songwriter, and regular performer in cities like NYC, Chicago, and Dublin.". Her video of her latest song has a delightful video of the city. Save yourself a trip through airports of people coughing too close to you and spend a few minutes with Em.

Morgan James was one of the youngest people admitted to Julliard. Her career started on Broadway but lately has focused on touring in support of her own recordings. Of particular note is her beginning to end album of covers from the Beatles White album. Her rendition of Dear Prudence is one you won’t forget although the entire album is a clear success.

Larkin Poe is a sister act who’s success really puts them outside of any list of emerging artists - but their name is still not well known. That’s particularly odd as these girls have participated in the 2019 KTBA Cruise where they held their own playing along side of Joe Bonamassa (look for this Youtube video !). They released two recordings in 2020. Their sound is one hundred percent southern rock, Amen.

Muriel Anderson: "Muriel is the first woman to have won the National Fingerstyle Guitar Championship. Her CD, Nightlight Daylight, was chosen as one of the top 10 CDs of the decade by Guitar Player Magazine, and her “Heartstrings” recording accompanied the astronauts on the space shuttle Discovery. She has performed/recorded with Chet Atkins, Les Paul, Victor Wooten, Tommy Emmanuel and the Nashville Chamber Orchestra."
Video’s impact on music is a bit of a sticky wicket. Did you notice the subscriber counts on some of these videos? Sierra is nearing 100k. The Petersen’s are nearing 500k.

I’m not sure if any of the Petersen’s CDs has earned radio exposure. With regard to Sierra - she has no CDs (at least that I know of). I’d argue that for these artists - radio failed them and video has been a very welcome musical lifeline.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.