2016: a new year for music....

With all of the music icons leaving us lately, we need some new music for a new year. Here's one I'm enjoying....Aoife O'Donovan "In The Magic Hour". Any others?
128x128slaw
Check out Parker Millsap : The Very Last Day.  Brilliant in every way.  Album of the year for me....by a landslide.  Extremely well recorded too.  
lenmc2964,

I had an interest in this lp for some reason. Maybe because the RS started off as a blues band? I recently heard that KR said this was MJ's best record ever, even though it was recorded in record time.

I'm interested in your take. Could you elaborate on the music and sound quality?

Cheers!
It's been a good year for Metal;
Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer and Testament.
New jazz stars get my most attention such as

Sona Jobarteh
Esperanza Spalding
Nneka
Beka Gochiashvli(new young jazz prodigy) with Chick Corea's "Friends"
New projects of Marc Ribot, former Tom Waits guitarist also great!
Snarky Puppy -- big funky band soon to be very known for sure!
Melody Gardot -- sexiest voice on planet
Banda Magda
KTU
Nils Petter Molvaer
Wolfgang Hafner and Jazz Baltica
Lars Danielsson 
Marcus Wasilewski (trio)

New classical musicians I like are :

Joshua Bell, Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg and Olga Kern.

Among the rock bands I have substantially fewer folks, but want to mention

Mastadon -- Nu Metal
Bullet For My Valentine -- old school heavy metal
Death -- Neo-punk rock
Marc Ribot and Ceramic Dog -- neo-punk rock
Liquid Tension Experiment (Tony levin with members of Dream Theater except vocal)
B.L.U.E -- not sure how current they are but it's Brufford Levin Upper Extremities 
It seems like most of the December releases are greatest hit packages targeting Christmas. However, there is a new Feelies release "In Between" that drops Feb. 24th.
I recently compared two of the latest PF re-masters to my original UK/Harvest..

"Meddle" & "Obscured By Clouds". The latest re-masters sounded better to my ear. Even better than my (now sold) MFSL "Meddle".

I then re-listen to my 2011 (repress) of "WYWH". Compared to the two PF lps above, this one was unimpressive. I was informed by another member to look on the SF site. The 2011 "WYWH" is a (repress) not a re-master.

(I do own a domestic re-issue and a CBS Mastersound of "WYWH")

The proof is in the listening.

No, I will not spring for a box. I may try another single lp though....
Are you guys going to spring for the new PF boxed set?
Like we need another one...
Hi dgarretson, I appreciate your candid response. I purchased the re-master of WYWH a couple of years ago and was not impressed. Is this (one) advertised now, the same pressing?

I played my UK "Obscured By Clouds" earlier today and thought it was on the bright side of what I'd consider a true analogue pressing would sound.

I own around 5 pressings of DSOTM, hard to recall which is best off hand.

Thanks for your response.
Hello Astro58go, Comparisons are difficult for me, as the only audiophile versions I own are Doug Sax's 180gm Wish You Were Here and older MoFi DSOTM.  The new Meddle sounds better than my original copy from the early '70s.  The first six in the new series are uniformly good and pretty close to Doug Sax's WYWH.  You gotta try at least one of the new series!  
dgarretson,

If you're reading this , I was inquiring (about the PF lps) in order to decide whether or not I should go for these new re-issues. I prize knowledgeable member's reviews more than Fremer's in my decision making. Thanks.
Grant-Lee Phillips "The Narrows". Another great Yep Roc release. A tip for vinyl enthusiasts... set your VTA slightly higher on this lp.
I am fortunate enough to own the RS catalog on London/Abkco  CD
from the mid- 1980's.  I also own most of the 2002 SACD titles as well.
I sure will contribute- astro58go-

I wonder how many CD boxed sets will be produced?  I know my Japan imported boxed set is certainly limited edition,probably in the 5000- 10000
neighborhood.  If it is #'d, I will post my number.

Also I read where the individual CD titles will be sold individually?
jafant,

I just started a Rolling Stones Mono Box thread. I hope you'll contribute.
jafant,

I forgot you listened to cd only?  The RS are one of those bands that, as much as I liked them, I never really bought very many lps. I don't own any original UK monos, so I couldn't really make any comparisons in that way. Supposedly, the lp mono set are limited to 10,000. I ordered mine the day it was announced and just received it yesterday #5056. 
astro8go-

i am very interested in reading about your thoughts/impressions as you acclimate to your RS Mono set.

Happy Listening!
Hello astro58go-

actually, I sprung and bought the Japan import of this Mono CD set.

There are several examples on eBay at this moment.  A pure collectors item to go along w/ my 'The Beatles' boxed sets.

Later this year, I will buy the "domestic" box set for listening purposes.
So far, the reviews are good. For those individuals who own the original vinyl albums from the 60s, there will be a difference of opinions (for sure).

I could never afford those original UK/USA original pressings on Vinyl.
Same goes for The Beatles.

dgarretson, I've owned/own these copies of "Meddle"... MFSL & Harvest (UK). Do you have any experience with these? If so, how does the latest re-issue compare Thanks.
jafant, Assuming you have heard the RS mono box, or part of it, can you give us some listening notes? I'm chomping at the bit to hear mine when it arrives.
Tonight working through the LP remasters of PF Meddle, Atom Heart Mother, and Obscured by Clouds. SQ is magnificent. 
I'm awaiting Jack White's acoustic LP...should be fun. 

Just dug a little deeper into Sean Hayes' catalogue and I will relate that it's definitely worth your while to do the same.  Remarkably good stuff. 
1st day of Fall;

hopefully, we will see a few monster releases all of the way up to Christmas! Box Sets too.
Omer Avital...

While I'm at it has anyone here ever used a site called cdbaby?  I just wasted a gorgeous afternoon wading through it. You can buy cd's or in some cases download flac files.  Very cool site. 

Be forewarned, you're going to spend some time there!
The Dream Syndicate has recorded a new album which is being mastered as we speak. not sure what the release date is going to be.
Jeff Healey "Heal My Soul" arrived. There's nothing groundbreaking, however, if you're a fan or just discovering, I'd recommend this one. While his songwriting was fine as it related to his overall style, it is his command of the guitar is what remains evident and still lovely to hear. Sonics are well above average.
slaw...you're welcome.  That's a great album, I have the same copy.

Also, my copy of "Bramble Rose" is perfect.
Glen's song writing and that emotional connection/expression conveyed is, in my experience, not often heard these days.

In my current Top 10 EASILY!
mofimadness: I wanted to take the time to thank you for your putting me onto The Frames. I don't know how I missed this band seeing how I'm a huge fan of Glen Hansard! I received my MOV copy of "Fitzcarraldo" and all I can say is WOW! This record is a perfect example of one that each of us experience sometimes that just changes everything. I highly recommend it!!!!!
Regarding "Bramble Rose". I've received (2) so far. The first had a small section of vinyl out at one point on the perimeter. (when you look at it or run your finger around it). Also, the vinyl was less than perfect in that it has visually noticeable hairline surface marks and other imperfections that caused some ticks and pops on both of my lps.
To Yep Roc's (11spot) credit, they not only sent a new copy after my reporting on the faults with the first copy I received but, after I reported on my experience with copy # 2, they graciously responded and said they would forward my email to their distributors and hopefully the ones who could look into the quality control at whatever pressing plant is now being used.
If your experience is similar to mine, I hope you'll take the time to express your thoughts to them as well.
A great label that could benefit from feedback from us all.