2012 Additions to Your Music Collection

The year is coming to an end and I just want to comment about some of the music I purchased. Every recording mentioned is highly recommended.

Feel free to talk about what you came across in 2012.

Bob Dylan -- Love And Theft, Original Mono Box Set, Time Out Of Mind. Can't say enough good things about Mr. Dylan. He's been so good for so long.

Boz Scaggs -- Dig. Boz can be hit or miss, but this is definitely a hit. Bass to die for.

Buddy & Julie Miller -- Written In Chalk

Cassandra Wilson -- Silver Pony. She's a national treasure.

Cocteau Twins -- Stars & Topsoil. A nice compilation.

Curtis Mayfield -- Superfly. I've never owned this record and after finally getting I realize for forty years I've denied myself a truly great record.

Dave Alvin -- Live From Austin TX. Kind of a greatest hits by one of the greatest living singer/songwriter.

Dream Academy -- Remembrance Day. I got a serious soft spot for their sound.

Esperanza Spalding -- Chamber & Radio Music Society. She's seriously talented and very entertaining.

Abercrombie/DeJohnette/Holland -- Homecoming, In the Moment. The sound even better 35 years after their first recordings.

Gretchen Parlato -- In A Dream, The Lost And Found. Sometime collaborator with Esperanza Spalding. There are some nice YouTube videos of them performing.

Hubert Sumlin -- Heart & Soul. If he had never played with Howlin' Wolf he would still be considered a top tier bluesman. He's an artist I will really miss.

Jack Wilkins -- Merge, Trioart. If you like jazz guitar he's a must hear.

James Blood Ulmer -- No Escape From the Blues.

Les Nubians -- Nu Revolution. A little like Sade, but more upbeat and a younger sound.

Macy Gray -- Covered.

Marshall Crenshaw -- Jaggedland. Another great record by Crenshaw.

Miles Davis Quintet -- Live In Europe 1967. Transitional period Miles.

Ojos De Brujo -- Aocana, Techari Live. Can't really describe it, but they are amazing. Techari also has a concert DVD. I don't see were they have ever played in the US.

Otis Rush -- All Your Love I Miss Loving.

Pete Anderson -- Daredevil, Even Things Up. Classy guitar roots rocking.

Red Hot Chili Peppers -- Mother's Milk. I've finally gotten into the RHCP.

Robbie Robertson -- How To Become Clairvoyant. Not great, but very, very good.

Roxy Music -- Complete Studio Recordings. A must have if you're a fan. A nice thing, they didn't remaster to make it loud.

Shelby Lynne -- Tears, Lies And Alibis. This is real country music.

Steve Cropper -- Dedicated - A Salute To the 5 Royales. Thank you Mr. Cropper for introducing me to their great music.

Swing Out Sister -- Beautiful Mess.

Tears For Fears -- Secret World.

Atlantic R&B 1947-1974. A definitive box set.
128x128onhwy61

Showing 1 response by tobb

Not new but new to me
Tindersticks Curtains if you like Nick Cave or Leonard Cohen.
Only I find Stuart Staples to be much more musical.