200g vinyl, more static?

I had been opting for 200g versions of records over their 45 counterparts.  I think 45's are great but I am willing to sacrifice sound quality for more time per side.  With that said, I notice that the 200g vinyls seem to create more static than others.  Am I nuts?  Anyone else notice this?

lps4eloise

Showing 1 response by mijostyn

Lewm and ips are correct except it is not particles lewm it is electrons.
Vinyl is almost at the bottom of the triboelectric series  https://www.researchgate.net/figure/A-conventional-triboelectric-series-and-an-experimentally-determined-triboelectric-series_fig2_320579184
It loves to hold on to electrons. Additives make up at best 2% of the vinyl mixture and I doubt they change much. As has been noticed humidity makes a big difference. 
The static charge is being created by the friction of the stylus rubbing the groove. In order to stop the record from charging you have to short it out to ground while it is playing. If the record is allowed to remain charged it will draw dust like a magnet as the stuff in dust is high up in the triboelectric series and is positively charged. It will pull dust right into the groove where your stylus can grind it into place, to pop or tick. Dust that is just on the surface of an uncharged record will be picked up by the stylus for you to brush off. The best way to deal with the situation is a conductive sweep arm like this one  https://www.sleevecityusa.com/Antistatic-Record-Cleaning-Arm-p/tac-01.htm
It also takes any incidental dust out of the way. With this and a dust cover your records will stay clean and static free. I rarely have to clean my stylus and I do not have or need a record cleaning machine as I do not buy used records. 
Modern pressings can be just as good even better then those in the past.
With a good record hold down system such as Vacuum or a reflex clamp record weight makes little if any difference. The quality of the vinyl is way more important followed by the quality of the lathe then the master. 
There is certainly a lot of garbage vinyl out there most of it being produced by major companies like Warner. Smaller companies whose reputation depends on their quality do better like QRP, Pallas and MoFi.
In the old days the quality of the pressing of any popular music was a toss up. Sometimes you got a good one, sometimes not. There were no options. Now we have options be it vinyl, CD, SACD or Hi Res downloads.