$2000 budget -- what to buy?

A friend is about to buy his first non-mini audio system and has a budget of $2000, which he is willing to spend on new or used equipment. Any suggestions as to what kinds of components he might consider would be much-appreciated. I was thinking of recommending a used Linn Classik and a pair of Katan or Tukan speakers to keep things simple, or alternatively, a used Rega Planet, a used Creek integrated and Katan or Tukan speakers. What do you think?
kdl6769
Vandersteen 2ce's (600.00 to 700.00)
Sony DVP-9000es (He could watch DVD's too and play SACD's.) (400.00 to 500.00)
Rotel RA-1062 integrated amp. (500.00 to 600.00)
These are used prices. Money left over for quality cables too.
I tend to agree with Pabelson. You could get buy buying the electronics on line/used to maximize the dollar, but I think it would be best for him to pic his speakers. Living in NY you should have good access to used too.
I think Grannyring's suggestions are very good- can't go wrong with that rig in my opinion.
What he ends up with could depend very heavily on where you go looking and what's available. Where do you live?
If sound, best sound for the money is key, then this is the absolute best IMHO :-)

Used Cayin (TAD) TA 30 Int amp - $600
Used Ack dAck - $350
Toshiba 3960 player as a transport $45 new at best buy
Used or new Usher X719 speakers $500-$800

or

Used Green Mountain Audio Europa speakers - $650

I dont think one can get better sound for the money.

Cabling you should buy used except Usher makes a speaker cable called the Rapport that sells for $175 new and it rocks! Luminous Audio Rennaisance speaker cable is good and cheap. DH labs Air Matrix IC's used. Many other good cabling ideas here on Agon.
Your plan sounds decent, although I am not that familar with some of those components.

My brother-in-law was in the same boat a month or two ago, and this is what he got.

Basis 1400 turntable, w/RB 300 arm. - (used $850)
Grado Gold (new $125)
Thule Spirit IA 100 (100 wpc integrated amp) - (used $450)
Nad PP-2 phono preamp - (used $75)
Thiel CS .5 speakers - (used $600)

Total = $2,100 (Close enough to $2K)

(Yeah, I know, the Basis far outclasses the rest of his stereo, but it was my old turntable, and he loved not only the sound of it, but the looks as well. He built the rest of his system around that actually.)

Good Luck to you and your friend.
you might do better to offer to help him go audition.Such demostrations could seem intimidating first time out. Find out what his ears hear, and then you will know what to point him to.Of course, the difficulty is allowing him his own level of observation, going through the process with him, not for him.
For a newbee, I always recommend that he not buy anything he cannot audition before purchase. For the most part, that precludes buying used. So be it. The worst thing an experienced audiophile "friend" can do is to foist his tastes on his non-audiophile buddies. I don't mean to sound harsh, and I'm sure you have the best of intentions, but remember that this is going to be HIS system, not yours.

If his budget is $2000, I suggest he start visiting shops in the area, and tell them he's lookng for $1000 speakers. Get to know what's out there, and what he likes. Once he's narrowed down his speaker choice, you can help him build a system around it. Trust me, he'll wind up with a system that's better for him, and that he'll be prouder of.
I would recommend the latter myself as it gives more flexibility in the future without having to sell off a complete unit and start from scratch if "upgraditis" hits.

I noticed that you have a full linn system...is that the sound that he likes? maybe he could look for a used linn integrated amp & a matching linn cd player (I see that there are no integrateds for sale currently however)

kudos on helping out your friend and bringing another soon to be crazy audiophile on board...good recommendation on the used equipment also.

Ellery
Well, he could do much worse than a used Classic and a pair of Linn speakers, that's for sure. How big a room will this be used in?