200 Watt versus 300 to 400 Watt Amplifier Comps

Currently running a 200 Watt Classe Amplifier with the Cal Labs 2500 SSP and pair of older JM Lab speakers, the Spectral 913's.

When I went from a 100 Watt Amp to the 200 Watt version I was surprised at the upgraded performance that was delivered. My question is if this system were playing CD's at a certain decibel level, and I were to go to a 300 Watt Amp and play the same selection at the same decibel level, would there be a performance increase. Is the answer the same with DVD Movie Playback??

Additionally if your speakers are rated to handle 50-200 Watts, is a 200 Watt amplifier the highest wattage amplifier one should consider?

Any and all answers will be appreciated
Ag insider logo xs@2xmattkimb96

Showing 1 response by mattkimb96

Appreciate all of the feedback so far. It would certainly appear that more is generally better, with the caveat that the longer the amp maintains itself in class a power the better. I have looked through my owners manual for the Classe 100 watt amp, (using as mono @ 200 w) and see frequency response, sensitivity,input imedence, S/N Ratio, and rated output. The only measure I have even a rudimentary grasp of is the rated output. Where/How can you determine how mamy watts any given remains in class a before swithching to B?

I wish there was an amplifier & pre-amplifier for dummies book that would explain all or at least the most critical technical jargon in layman terms!