200-amp Breaker Panel Question

My current 100 amp panel is being replaced tomorrow with a 200-amp panel with a copper bus (along with my meter box outside so that the electric company will then run 200 amp lines to my home rather than the current 100 amp service). I've read conflicting opinions here and in other forums regarding whether your dedicated lines should be on the same phase while also trying to place the noisier appliances (dryer, refrigerator, AC etc,) on the opposite phase. If you have any actual experience with this topic or are an electrician and an audiophile, I would certainly appreciate your input to help me resolve this issue.

I am also planning on having my dedicated lines on the first circuit breakers after the power line enters the breaker panel.

I cleaned the copper bus with CRC and treated it with Caig Pro Gold. Of my six dedicated lines (all of which are home runs), 4 of them are 10 gauge conductors in flexible Greenfield conduit and two of these are for my monoblock amplifiers and will be linked to 30 amp circuit breakers. Finally, for various reasons, neither a sub-panel or second mains panel are options at this time.

Any other suggestions you can think of?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide.
fmpnd

Showing 5 responses by fmpnd

Hey Bob! How's your system these days. I will look into the AP cable, especially since they are very close to my home. I still have your phone number so I may give you a call if that's ok.

Rodman, I actually have the Walker Extreme SST but have always been a bit cautious on where I put it - I did put it on my tube pins but have yet to try it on electrical plugs (but this may be the time to do so). My buddy Rushton is a big believer in the SST and sings its praises. I know to use it sparingly but I never thought about it in the panel box. Are you suggesting I use ith there? Is there any potential problem with it deteriorating with age and needing to be cleaned and re-applied? If so, I would think treating the copper bus on the breaker panel would not be a very convenient connection to do so. Thanks for the imput on the phase question.
Tweak1,

I have also heard that and I was considering having a second "mains" panel (not a sub-panel) but certain logistical problems prevent me from doing so.

Thanks.
Thanks everyone. The electrician worked 5 hours on Saturday and 12 hours on Sunday to get the panel in (my house is ALWAYS the house from "HELL" whenever anyone works on it so it didn't suprise me when it took him three times as long as he thought it would).

It also turns out I already had 200 amp service to the house so I didn't have to call the electric company to upgrade the service.

I didn't put my amps on 30 amp breakers yet as I only had 2-pole 30-amp breakers which would then mean they would be on both phases (since the 2-pole breaker is twice as wide). I am going to pick up two single-pole 30-amp breakers tonight and will treat them (sparingly) with SST.

Even without any after market wire (although I do have heavy 10 gauge solid-core wire in Greenfield conduit for my lines and very good outlets), the difference was much more noticable than I thought it would be given that I already had six dedicated lines. The biggest differences I heard immediately (you would literally have to be hearing impaired NOT to have heard this difference), was a pronounced improvement in bass articulation and transient attack as well as increased dynamics.

I was not in any way dissatisfied with my system or my sound prior to this change. I was changing the panel because my entire house would dim any time my AC (whether the central AC or my stereo room thru-wall extra AC), the fridge or the dishwasher went on. Now, the lights weren't phased at all when I kicked in the AC last night so, mission accomplished! The fact that the music sounds better and more lively too is just icing on the cake!. I only had about 35-40 minutes to audition last night so I am still assessing.
Jea48,

Thanks. Actually, an audio equipment distributor is the one who told me to use the 30-amp breaker with the Wattgate or FIM recptacles that I have that my Lamm monos are plugged into. I assume then that there could be damage to my equipment if I use the 30-amp breaker on the WattGates or FIMs?

Frank
Thanks John and Jea48, I will simply leave the 20-amp breakers in that I did install for the amps and return the 30-amp breakers that I ordered.

Bob, have a good trip, talk to you soon.