2 channel setup - Should I add a center channel or $1500 subwoofer?

Hey everyone I just bought the B&W 702 s2 as a 2-channel start to an eventual home theater, but I only have another $1500 in my budget for right now. Should I add a matching center channel that runs at $1500 or use the money for a decent sub? If so what sub would integrate well with my speakers? Would the SVS SP-4000 be a good choice?
km1181

Showing 1 response by oldhvymec

I say buy 500.00 worth of room treatment, and TWO 500.00 subs and get 3 X the return.. The center channel.. Looks good, I guess. But any OK pair of speakers will image a center channel BETTER with regards to music.

That center channel is for voices really and actually the most important speaker in a HT set up.. You could actually do away with stereo speakers and add subs, ONLY.. Some time simple is really really good..

HT and music can work together, the best IMO is stereo with at least TWO subs and some room treatment.. And not the other way around..
Leave the center channel OUT, you already have a great phantom center..

Room treatment FIRST.. 500.00 You’ll be amazed with just that, then those 500.00 subs will sound like the single 1500.00 you planned on but X 2 at 1/3 the price EACH.. You can’t gear your way out of 50% of the sound, THE ROOM...

Master M will chime in.. He'll certainly tell ay.. :-)

Regards