1st setup failed, need advice for B&W N805 amp

Okay, so my current components are failing me. I have a Peachtree Decco and Emotiva UPA-2 (just received this, motive for my post).

I was previously using only the Decco to power the N805's... my source was my PC connected via USB. So the Decco functioned as a DAC/preamp/amp and all was fine... except two things. 1st, although the room is small, I could use a bit more power. 2nd, I noticed the left channel on the Decco was a bit louder than the right. At first I thought it was the speakers, but I tried another set and same thing. It also doesn't have good balance at low volumes.

So I bought the Emotiva UPA-2. Fast forward to today. I setup the UPA-2, turned the power on, and to my disgust - there was a very loud/audible humming which corresponded with the output level on the UPA-2. At first I thought it was my generic monoprice cable causing the problem. But then I tried connecting both my TV and iPod straight to the UPA-2 and... the humming was gone. Could it be possible that UPA-2 doesn't work well with a tube preamp? Either way, I disconnected the thing and I'm back to using the Decco only.

I really need some advice. First, is there anything I should try before giving up on the Decco + UPA-2? And second, if it came down to it, I'd rather keep the Decco and look for a new power amp. I'm trying to keep the price under $500 and used would be okay. I don't need anything crazy, the room is only about 12x12. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... thanks
koven

Showing 1 response by stanwal

If all else fails NAD will drive the 805s. I have a 3140 driving a pair in the system I set up in my wife's craft room which is a little bigger. But try everything else first.