1st SACD Purchase

I just acquired a transport that plays SACDs.  I own a few thousand CDs, but not a single SACD.  So, I want to purchase a SACD to give this transport a run for its money.  Please suggest to me one SACD release that will really expose my transport and the rest of the system to a good test of its capabilities to reproduce quality sounds.  Any genre works for me.

Thanks
pgaulke60

Showing 2 responses by mahler123

The Pittsburgh Symphony recordings of the Brahms Symphonies led by Marek Janowski is a good example of the benefits of SACD.  The strings are more fleshed out, there is a good sense of Hall ambiance and reverb, just more of everything.  It isn’t super flashy music, like something a dealer might play to knock your socks off in fifteen seconds to get you interested, but if you what an Orchestra in a real space is supposed to sound like, this does the trick.  On the same Pentatone label, Mari Kodama Beethoven Piano Sonatas sound exceptionally realistic.
@recluse.   At first I was playing SACDs in multichannel only.  I ultimately added a Bryston DAC3, so now I can have my Oppo 105 output the DSD layer of SACD over HDMI in my two channel system as well.