1st, most memorable recording...

In your introduction to high end audio, is their a rock song, ballad, jazz piece, etc. that really knocked your socks off and prompted you to get into the hobby?

In 1990, a buddy had me over to listen to his rig consisting of, merlin sig. 4`s, tandburg amp/pre and denon cdp.

The first piece he played was "Bolero" by the Philadelphia Orchestra. That particular arrangement, on that particular system blew me away and was my introduction into high end audio.

It`s still one of my favorite pieces.

Just wondering if any of you have had a similar experience.
capt369

Showing 1 response by capt369

This thread was fun for me, not only reminiscing about my start in upper-end audio but to hear other experiences as well.

I forgot to mention that I bought my buddies system when he moved out of state. Those big ol` merlin 3-way, 5 driver speakers are long gone but I have the tsm/mm`s on order. Merlin`s for me, man.

And of course, "Bolero" wasn`t "by" the Philadelphia orchestra as I misstaded, but performed by it. I listen to mostly jazz and old r&r but bolero is a kick-ass orchestral piece that everybody should play on their system and a must have imho. It`s on the EMI classics label.

Anybody else?