1990s speaker recommendation

Earlier this week I saw on my workplace bulletin board a good deal on some speakers that I remembered listening to for hours back in the mid 1990s when I worked at a series of HiFi shops. I tried to pick them up but was too late, but the incident got me reminiscing about speakers from that era and a quick look at my local craigslist shows a fair amount of inventory.

I'm looking for suggestions for a good pair of floor-standing or sub/sat speakers under $300 from this era. Style of music in our house runs almost the entire gamut. This would be complementing a pair of smaller a/d/s bookshelfs in our living room.

Please make recommendations of specific brands and models to look out for second hand. Thanks.
tr808

Showing 2 responses by bodhi

Finding a good pair of speakers for under $300.00 (even 20 year old speakers) is a tough call, however you could pick up a pair of used Infinity Reference 6's for about that price. The Ref 6's had the Emit-R tweeter, a dedicated mid-bass coupler & newer IMG cones. Otherwise you could look for an older pair of restored Infinity Kappa 7's or Reference Standard 5's. My pick of that bunch would be the Reference 6's if you can find a nice, unmolested pair.
08-02-15: Whitecap
Polk Audio SDA series. I like the SDA 1C.
Those Polk SDA speakers are classic for sure, though Infinity used lighter and stiffer cone material in their drivers & used a nicer tweeter imho (Emit-R). Carrie Christie also did a superb job on the wood cabinets, however that's only my subjective view as an Infinity lover.