1970's receivers and integrated amps...

Lots of the mid to late 1970's receivers (and integrated amps) look pretty cool. For example the high end Pioneers and Sansui's.

My question is how do they sound? Do any of them hold up to days standards? How is their power vs. what they are rated for?

Advise on particular models appreciated.

Ken
drken

Showing 2 responses by plato

I have a early 70's vintage Pioneer SX-939 receiver that I bought recently on Craigs List. I have it hooked up to a big pair of VMPS RM2 ribbon hybrid speakers and it sounds quite impressive. The transients are fast and clean, the midrange is sweet and harmonically pleasing, bass is robust but not quite as controlled as with better separates.

But what really killed me about this receiver was how well it handled the fast transients and super dynamics of Rodrigo y Gabriella's blazing guitars from their CD 11:11. I was in awe, and you can check my other systems, it's not like I don't have semi-expensive gear to compare it to.

That said, sometimes these older units need a bit of service before they are ready to rock. Mine is stock but it had some dirty switches and the tuner section still needs realignment.

Happy Hunting. :)
Bob... I could care less about what Harry Pearson says or thinks. I do know I'm getting very good sound out of that Pioneer -- maybe not Shindo good, but still quite respectable. I'd put that system with the cheap Pioneer and VMPS up against your stuff any day.

I'm really put off by audio snobbery like this; especially when people have no first-hand experience with the gear they're giving opinions on. Sure I've heard some mediocre-to-poor receivers, but I've heard some good ones too. Also just FYI, my Pioneer is not the top-of-line 120-watt model and I bet Harry did not even give that one an honest chance with an open mind.

Frank