1970's Audio Research Equipment, worth having?

ARC seems to held in high regard by quite a few 'Gons. What about the early tube stuff, like the mid 70s? Does it still measure up to today's standards? What are some the problems one might face?
jw94055

Showing 2 responses by newbee

I agree with Nsgarch that in the late 80's ARC made changes in going to hybrids...BUT i will not cede that this was an advancement. :-)

I'm not up to speed on ARC's amps. The only one I've ever owned was the D115II - I never warmed up to it for various reasons.

However, the SP preamps made in the 80's were fine then, fine now, and are fully supported by ARC. They all have different sounds, come with very good to world class phono stages, and give up little to todays stuff other than a bit of resolution for which they make up in tonal balance, mid range bloom and their ability to throw a hugh soundstage. They are not cold and ascerbic as are many modern pre-amps, tubes and SS.

I've been running my SP10II since about 1983 - I send it back to ARC about every five years for a tune up. The service is 1st class - and get this, they don't take credit cards. They just return the equipment and send you a bill in the mail! Guess who they trust .....and support.

The SP8 also gets high marks. The SP11, its first hybrid also gets many great comments, although for me it was the first step away from the traditional tube sound. The SP6 is less resolved than the 8 or 10, and the SP3 is lush.

If I were in the market for the sound from these 80's units I mentioned I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to buy one.
Harry, FWIW, be sure to hear the D115II before you buy it. I had one with my 'matching' SP10 - it was a disappointing experience. Not the SP10 - I kept it for 30 years, but I found the ARC lacked warmth and maintanence, both biasing and replacing resistors when a tube blew, was a