1970's Audio Research Equipment, worth having?

ARC seems to held in high regard by quite a few 'Gons. What about the early tube stuff, like the mid 70s? Does it still measure up to today's standards? What are some the problems one might face?
jw94055

Showing 2 responses by gmorris

I bought an ARC D76A from Lyric in 1977. I sold it to a friend about 8 years ago. I continue to be impressed with that magical midrange (he is using it to to drive a MG 3.6). I still regret selling it to him. I also owned the D115 MKII for 12 years. I now own the VT100 MKII.

The topolgy of the VT100 is essentially the same as the D76A, with better parts and beefier power supply with solid state power regulation. All of these amps are very smooth and musical. The VT100 MKII is more refined and transparent with greater control and punch in the midbass and bass.
I also owned the SP9 MKI and MKII, the SP14, LS2B MKI and MKII and currently the LS25 MKI. They were all very good to excellent preamps. The SP9 MKII is a steal on the used equiptmet market. One of my friends who is also a dealer still uses the SP9 MKII in his home system after about 10 years.