1955-2001 Favorite Top Ten Rock Groups

To get a better feel for the types of people on this site, IYHO, what are your favorite rock artists top tenwise. I just like to know.
shubertmaniac

Showing 3 responses by ben_campbell

Beatles(yup they did rock too 'though not much),Led Zeppelin,The Doors,The Smiths,Pink Floyd,Radiohead,Steely Dan,The Who,Rolling Stones....otherwise mm we're into songwriters Springsteen,Dylan et al. The category is open to discussion as what's in or out. By the way you spell Zeppelin as above that's driving me nuts IT'S ON THE COVERS OF THE ALBUMS!!!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. :-0
Cogito-Zep were pretty blatant in their early days for taking old blues standards changing little and crediting themselves. Willie Dixon in particular suffered and eventually Zep paid out royalties in the late 80's I believe. Dazed & Confused I believe(can't check at the moment)is credited to Page/Plant/Jones although the song was a feature of the Yardbird days. I believe it is similar but different enough to maybe get away with it. Likewise songs such as In My Time Of Dying was a standard (Dylan did it on his first album) but completely rearranged in epic style. The Yardbirds connection continued throughout their career-with tracks such as White Summer(Page instrumental) and on their final European tour in '80 they used to start with The Train Kept A Rollin'-the first song they ever did as a band and a Yardbirds standard
Cogito-I agree however to be fair what made Zep so great was the rate that they matured as songwriters and arrangers and the diversity of their material. They have left a stunning back catalogue