180g new vs. NM used

Hi all, 

Following up on my previous post on vinyl repair.  So assuming I want to replace the record, am I better off going with used in VG+/NM or just some sort of new 180g pressing?  If this has been previously discussed feel free to direct me to that thread.  

Thanks,

EW

128x128mtbiker29

Showing 3 responses by lowrider57

I have all the albums on CD, 1st and early pressings from W. Germany. This is before CD plants were up and running in US. These have incredible sound quality; low noise, dynamic, spacious soundstaging some have a 3D image. I’m sure the mastering played a major role in these releases.

Edit...

CDs mastered by Barry Diament (has a CD credit). LZ 4 by Joe Sidore.

I prefer the LZ originals, although these remasters sound pretty darn good. I’m disappointed to find out the sources went straight to digital but there's a lot of wear on those tapes.

Something that can be said for these remasters is the reversed channels and polarity issues were corrected.

Speaking of Led Zeppelin: Avoid the LP reissues Jimmy Page did recently; in this case the source WAS digital.

According to an interview with Jimmy Page, the original analogue tapes were used. Each was digitized and the mix and mastering were done in the digital domain. I'll try and find the interview. I think one of the main points was to clarify Jimmy's remastering process.