$1750 AVR/separates + disc player budget:thoughts?

I have a $1750 budget for a disc player and AVR/separates that will be used for about 65-35 movies/television vs. music. My current plan is an Oppo 105 that I can get for $1099 ($100 off list) and a Marantz SR6007 receiver that I can get for $649. Any other suggestions?

These will be powering an all-Martin Logan 5.1 audio setup, with Motion 40 fronts, Motion 30 center, Dynamo 700 sub, and ML in-walls in the rear.
symblized
Thanks all, I am so glad I read this. I am also going to build a Home Theater as well, and was looking at the Oppo 105. But after reading this, I will just stick with my Sony Blue Ray, and spend the rest of 3K on the Projector and Pre/Pro. I will be running Swan's as the speakers I already have.
Some excellent choices here. I will add one more.

The OPPO is great IF you are going to use the built-in DAC, and output the
audio signal via RCA cables. If you are sending the audio via digital HDMI
or TOSLINK, the DAC in the AVR is the one processing the audio and the
OPPO's strengths are really bypassed.

If the latter is the case (which I'm guessing it is), then spend more money
on the AVR, and less on the BluRay. The setup I have is the following basic
setup, and it is truly fantastic for movies (100" projector), and
excellent for audio.

Sony BDP-S790 $250 (new on ebay)
Pioneer Elite SC-77 $1,400 (new on ebay)

If you review these components, you will be hard-pressed to find a bad
review. I am pushing my Mirage OMD-28s, and matching center/surround
with it (front three channels bi-amplified), and I could not be happier. I came
from the Marantz SR7001, which I liked, but will never go back to. The
clarity and control of the SC-57 I use is really stunning, and the room
correction doesn't add the veil that many do.

Hope this helps!
Mot
Oppo BDP-103 - $500
Emotiva UMC-200 - $600
Emotiva UPA-500 - $500

Total = $1400

You could certainly find an Emo XPA-5 amp used for around 550-650, raising your total to $1450-1550. And that gives you a killer 200 watts/ch., 5 channel amp...

Emo XPA-5, $550:
http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?amps50ch&1384814604&&&/Emotiva-XPA-5

-RW-
Post removed 
09-24-13: Martykl
"I'd go the other way:"

"I'd spend $1600 on the best AVR or pre-pro/amp combo available and $100 on a disposable Sony BRD player. The Sony actually produces a very good image (at least on the 73" screen in my family room) and you can always upgrade to an Oppo (or similar) when budget allows - if the Sony leaves you itchin' for more."

I am totally with this suggestion. Spend more $$$ on the pre-pro/amp or quality AVR so you don't sell your ML's short with inadequate amplification. You would be able to stream music/movies with a $100.00 BD player. Then as funds allow in the future, go get the Oppo.

Bill
If you go the route of an AVR,
Take a look at the Arcam avr400, powerful 90w per
channel x5.
the new Marantz is also a good contender, but too many channels for my taste.
good luck!
I'd go the other way:

I'd spend $1600 on the best AVR or pre-pro/amp combo available and $100 on a disposable Sony BRD player. The Sony actually produces a very good image (at least on the 73" screen in my family room) and you can always upgrade to an Oppo (or similar) when budget allows - if the Sony leaves you itchin' for more.

Just one more idea to kick around.

Marty
The Oppo is great, the speakers are nice, the Marantz is a good buy...but aren't you selling yourself short? For what you can get out of the Marantz, you should save on the Oppo and go for the 103, I doubt you will see or hear a difference.

On another note, Marantz does NOT rate the power on the 6007 below 6 ohms. Your speakers are 4 ohms. You just might cook your receiver? I'd get a guarantee in writing from someone.

My suggestion is a preamp and amp combo. You need a power amp that can handle that load. If your budget is stuck at $1750 and you need all of the features of the Marantz, consider it as a pre/pro only. Or look at an Emotiva UMC200 or Outlaw, $650 approx. Buy the Oppo 103 for $500. Blow the rest on the best used amp you can muster up from Audiogon. There's amps from B&K, Anthem, Sherbourn, Adcom and many more in the $500 range that can make your speakers sing. Also, your receiver could probably handle the load on the rear speakers. Now you only need 3 channels.
If it were me, I wouldn't drop $1100 of my budget on the Oppo. I know they have a great following, and reviews. The only one I ever heard didn't really impress me, and it was in a system that's better than mine. (or at least it should be) If you have settled on an Oppo, I guess I would look at a cheaper model, and throw the extra cash at the receiver. Personally, I would be allocating my funds exactly opposite.