$1750 AVR/separates + disc player budget:thoughts?

I have a $1750 budget for a disc player and AVR/separates that will be used for about 65-35 movies/television vs. music. My current plan is an Oppo 105 that I can get for $1099 ($100 off list) and a Marantz SR6007 receiver that I can get for $649. Any other suggestions?

These will be powering an all-Martin Logan 5.1 audio setup, with Motion 40 fronts, Motion 30 center, Dynamo 700 sub, and ML in-walls in the rear.
symblized

Showing 2 responses by elevick

The Oppo is great, the speakers are nice, the Marantz is a good buy...but aren't you selling yourself short? For what you can get out of the Marantz, you should save on the Oppo and go for the 103, I doubt you will see or hear a difference.

On another note, Marantz does NOT rate the power on the 6007 below 6 ohms. Your speakers are 4 ohms. You just might cook your receiver? I'd get a guarantee in writing from someone.

My suggestion is a preamp and amp combo. You need a power amp that can handle that load. If your budget is stuck at $1750 and you need all of the features of the Marantz, consider it as a pre/pro only. Or look at an Emotiva UMC200 or Outlaw, $650 approx. Buy the Oppo 103 for $500. Blow the rest on the best used amp you can muster up from Audiogon. There's amps from B&K, Anthem, Sherbourn, Adcom and many more in the $500 range that can make your speakers sing. Also, your receiver could probably handle the load on the rear speakers. Now you only need 3 channels.