15" vs 18" subwoofer - which to buy?

If price and room space/aesthetics were not a big issue, is there any reason to get a 15" subwoofer over an 18" one? My main issue is not disturbing the neighbors too much. I'm confused about the difference between a 15" and 18" subwoofer. I want to get the best sound quality possible for low-to-medium volume use.

I've heard that an 18" subwoofer can be played at low decibels and provide good bass resolution and fullness of sound, while to achieve the same volume with a 15" subwoofer, the power has to be much higher. So for any given sound volume, the main difference is in distortion- and higher distortion sound may be more obtrusive. Is this true? it seems counterintuitive that an 18" subwoofer could be better for neighbors than a 15" subwoofer.

However, I compared a B&W800 (12") vs B&W850 (15"). I listened from the other side of the store wall (not as thick as my apt), and at minimum levels which I found satisfying for HT, I found the 12" more obvious and 'boomy' sounding while the 18" produced a more subtle (though actually more powerful), lower frequency vibration, like a very low-level rumbling background earthquake. The 15" subwoofer did seem more of a disturbance because of it's 'obvious' sound. However, I worry that an 18" won't even start producing quality sound until a certain volume that was much higher than a 15", and consequently potentially more disruptive for neighbors. Is this true? What is the relationship between subwoofer size, low sound volume, and subjective listening experience?

Unfortunately, it will be difficult to get an opportunity to hear both the DD-15 and DD-18 which I am considering, so I hope someone can help out here.
no_slouch

Showing 2 responses by c123666

Find a Bag End dealer and audition one of the best. Go review their site; think they may offer both sizes. Great product, rarely found used.
I asked Tyler acoustics for a quote on a custom subwoofer with the following design parameters:

purpose is to use with single ended tube amps and very efficient speakers....the sub must be "quick" enough to keep up with demanding bass passages and the mid/hi frequencies.

dual 8" drivers arrayed vertically
one speaker input straight to the drivers
one speaker input with a quality passive crossover (cut at 60 to 75hz)
non ported design
high efficiency so can be driven by a tube amp if desired (intention is to build a mono tube amp that will only operate in the bass frequencies and opimtized for bass duty)..output control on the amp would control the level

Tyler quoted me a price of 450 for a basic black ash woofer based on these specs and estimated the bass output would go to 30hz or slightly below.

An AudioAero dual 8" sub which supposedly hits 20hz recently sold very cheaply locally. I missed it by a couple of days.
This is supposed to be an excellent product but that is only hearsay.