12ax7 vs 5751

hi all,
i need some advice. i`m very new to tube amplifiers and i`ve been doing some tube rolling.

i currently have a pair of grant fidelity matched psvane 12ax7t`s in my amp which sound fantastic.

what i`d like to know is which are the better tubes, 12ax7`s or 5751 tubes. i`ve been looking at forums and there are folk out there that say 5751 tubes are better than 12ax7 tubes.

can i have your thoughts on this please and also which are the good 5751`s to go for.

i really like the psvanes but if they can be bettered i`d go for it as my next line up of replacement tubes.

my amp is a yaqin mc100b. the tubes i have installed at the moment are.....
2 x psvane 12ax7t`s
2 x brimar 6sn7gty/cv1988`s
2 x sylvania 6sn7gtb`s
4 x electro harmonix kt88eh`s

many thanks in advance guys.
grayf

Showing 1 response by rccc

Joes tube lore is far from the authority on 12ax7/5751( or anything else)The performance of a tube is going to be application dependent. Any one whos rolled tubes can tell you what works in one amp doesnt always work well in another. A 5751 can be quieter in the phono position on some amps but you wont necessarily find them to image better. You could buy used tubes on ebay and experiment using your ears or you could buy from a knowledgeable dealer Im sure this group can recommend reliable dealers, upscale audio comes to mind. Ive heard good and bad examples of almost every tube Joe listed, to experience the general character of a specific brand type you have to listen to several examples in a variety of applications. Brent Jesse's site has good info on a lot of tubes.