12AX7 preamp tube failure last night

I was playing a gig last night with my Vox AD50VT amp which has one 12AX7 preamp tube. Suddenly I lost all sound. Is that a normal failure mode for a tube? Is that uncommon? I bought this amp new almost 7 years ago and love the sound of it. I have a recording of the song when it failed and it seems like you can hear the tone breaking up and getting scratchy right before all sound was lost. Any ideas appreciated.

Bill
notserp300

Showing 2 responses by notserp300

Thanks for all of the responses. I am awaiting a replacement tube (12ax7) and hopefully that will cure the problem. The amp lives in my car a lot and does bump around. That probably explains a lot of the wear........ I have received a lot of feedback suggesting that I try upgraded tubes for that amp. I am planning on purchasing a back-up tube:-) Thanks again everybody!
Thanks Mcintech. That makes good sense and I have broken those rules on occasion with this amp :-)
Still waiting for the replacement tube to arrive and anxious to find out if it was the tube............or something else like a capacity, resistor, or broken solder joint.