12AU7 & 6922

my cd player uses 6922 & my hybrid integrated uses 12AU7.

i'm interested in trying out some different tubes.

currently the integrated has jan phillips, while the cd player has audio research.

the sound is open, dynamic, and pleasing resolution for digital playback.

i keep reading about mullard, amperex, telefunken, & nos tubes.

but i'm not sure i want to take that plunge yet without some recommendations.

thanks in advance.

-ejc
ericjcabrera

Showing 2 responses by mechans

There is a broad range of 12AU7s in terms of tone. It really depends on what you want to achieve. Then of course how much you want to risk. NOS and in reality many are lightly used tubes are a gamble, that virtually no seller will warranty, once you have put it in your equipment. Fortunately there is a current production tube that is supposed to be truly excellent. That tube is the Gold Lion reissue. A very good vendor is over on Audio Asylum named Jim McShane. (no financial intersest whatsoever)
If you want to get something really extraordinary chase down the Amperex 7613 from the early 60s and late 50s. They are a direct sub only from Heerlen, often made for computers etc so you will find Hewlett Packard etc. branding. Super clean detailed crystaline halographic extended really special. Of course IMO.
6922s are scarcer if you want really good older tubes anyway. The prices get insane fast. One great sub that I like which is more German Sounding Than British is the Mullard CV2943. Upscale Audio has them from time to time. That's a good place to look also at others. There may be more bang for your buck if you can use 6DJ8s.
Good luck, tube rolling can be a very slippery slope.
I posted a dyslexic response, the 12AU7 sub of choice IMHO is the 7316. Please not the correction.