$1200... What would you buy?

I've been lurking a long time looking for a turntable. Posted a few times when I thought I knew what I wanted but never pulled the trigger. Now my budget is a little better so I'm curious, what would you recommend? Previoulsly I was considering older Denon's DP-59/60's but with more $$$ I have more options. I've seen VPI's in this range, Sota, Clearaudio, all types. Not sure if I should spend less on a TT and consider a TT amp or be better off with a better TT.

Current setup:
Reciever; Pioneer VSX-94txh
Front; B&W 602 S3
Rear; B&W 601 S3
Center; B&W LCR 600 S3
Sub; Outlaw LFM-1

Thanks.
botit

Showing 1 response by markd51

Botit, Yes, the older Denons are a beautiful table,and i have myself a lesser one on ice as a second table, a DP-2550, with a retro-fitted AQ PT-8 Arm.

Downside of the Denons you mention, is that these Tables are getting up in age, to find a mint one, without Plinth Scars, and Rashes becomes harder, and harde, they'll be top dollar for an el minto example, and the other, even larger possible problem with these, is electrical problems, they were quite sohisticated electronically, and were prone to speed stability problems, with thier magnetic strip on Platter, Sensor, and an array of electronics to make it all happen.

If I had that sort of money,was looking and perhaps a little more $$$ just in case, I would perhaps keep an eye out for a mint VPI Aries 1, that possesses the original Lead Filled Black Acrylic Platter. If it has the JMW 10.5i Arm, all the better.

There's of course a myriad of other fine Tables out there to be had used.

The other gents here have brought up some fine points, and I hope they have helped you to narrow down your choices. Mark